Where to buy Gransfors axes

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I was just wondering where you guys have bought Gransfors stuff from in the past and which sellers you recommend.
I bought some stuff from the Bushcraft Store in the past, but since their infamous falling out they don't stock them anymore.

Where represents the best value and if full membership here gets me a discount somewhere, that would be even better :D

I am considering buying a larger axe for felling and the like since we are considering buying a forested plot next year. If there is a good alternative, I'd be happy to hear about it since I'm going to have to buy one sooner or later.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the link. Their Scandinavian axe is out of stock though, which seems like the logical choice for its purpose.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Scandinavian is really a snedding axe Hibrion - for falling I would suggest the Working Axe (I have and use both)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, sunndog.

Which one is the working axe, Hugh? Is that one of the the double bit offerings?
I should say it will probably be used on ash, birch and pines, so I'm not going to be chewing through massive trunks by any means. I have the small forest axe already, which might be fine for snedding. But I do have rather long arms so perhaps something dual purpose with a longer helve might be nice.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The working axe is the large double bit with the poll swell Hibrion. Its very much a "home use" axe - too big to carry on a backpack but a great tool. The Scandinavian is pretty much a "hand and a half" axe :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I see. Double bits always seem a bit intimidating.

Is there anything to be said for purchasing an old head and fixing it up, I wonder?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Hi Hibrion,

I've used Nordic outdoor a lot and they've been brilliant, I've used wood smith experience and they were exemplary too. Both great services and spot on products and you can't want for more really. I've fixed up an old kent pattern chopper and it's great- I'd love to do a double bit and the vintage ones a really appealing - though I think it's take more skill and they fetch a pretty high price in bad Nick. I know you'd do a grand job - though I don't think I'd be up to it just yet so I'll tinker with easier to do hatchets for a bit before I attempt bigger axes. Hope this helps! :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I've re-helved and fixed up cheapy hatchets in the past, before I knew what 'bushcraft' was. So I'm confident I can do it on the larger scale. But I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of looking for a quality head for this purpose.
I trust Gransfors, so that's my starting point.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Find an Elwell 3 1/2 pound head, re-profile and sharpen it, then re-hang it on a 362 helve. Job done!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, I'll look into that. An initial google reminds me of my Dad's old felling axe. Unfortunately for me, when the handle snapped my brother in law welded the head to an iron bar ad ground the daylights out of the head on a bench grinder :( Ticked me right off!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Don't you have a double bit Gransfors, Cameron?

I do mate- fantastic piece of equipment it is too! Wouldn't be with out it and I'm 100% used to it, I was after a short while it didn't take long to adjust and it is a demon for all things chopping- I love it :).

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
In the Gransfores line the American felling is one hell of an axe, it's comprable to an Elwell 4 1/2 Lb in the way it removes wood. I have used small forest, American and the Scandinavian to fell up to 2' thick trees, the work load reduction between a Scandinavian and american is incredible even though the scandi is no slouch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE