Where to buy Gransfors axes

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If you can get to the weald and downland museum they are more than happy for you to have a hands on look at the whole range, you have to ask as they aren't all on display.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The double bit working axe seems to be a had thing to find. Everywhere is out of stock at the moment. Bison bushcraft list them available for sale, but it's a bit more expensive than everywhere else and strangely lists the working axe as having a 27" handle and a 3 inch bit, which doesn't seem right.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whatever that is, its not a working axe (or the have listed it wrong). The working axe has the same 6" head as the throwing axe - but with a longer helve that has a swell at the end. It might be the right one but they screwed up the dimensions. Best to ring or mail and ask.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I wouldn't feel right destroying a perfectly good helve, for its purpose. I've often thought of putting a longer handle on the small forest axe, but I just can't bring myself to cut the handle as it is still in perfect order.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for the link. Their Scandinavian axe is out of stock though, which seems like the logical choice for its purpose.

I spoke to the guy at the museum shop the other day, there are serious supply problems with Gransfors at the moment due to Gransfors plans to sell on Amazon.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I spoke to the guy at the museum shop the other day, there are serious supply problems with Gransfors at the moment due to Gransfors plans to sell on Amazon.

I've heard there were problems from more than one source, but not that they were going to sell on Amazon. I think that would be great, if it happens.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've heard there were problems from more than one source, but not that they were going to sell on Amazon. I think that would be great, if it happens.

I'll see if I can get anything more about it, the museum is just a couple of hundred yards down the road, and I love talking axes with the fella. I know they've had to buy in some other axes and log mauls to get them through the lean time. But I've had a look, and they're not a patch on GBs.

I don't really like the Amazon angle. Amazon buy in quantities that price the likes of the Weald and Downland Museum out of the market. Also, these companies are already suffering as a result of stockpiling for mass sale via one outlet.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I suppose it would depend on whether Gransfors were selling through their own shop on Amazon, or Amazon are buying and reselling.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
So I was lucky enough to be given a Gransfors working axe as a christmas gift. The only thing is the ongoing problem with my hands has meant I havn't really been able to use it much. However, I took it out today and noticed one small issue. The head is almost symmetrical, but for one of the bottom corners. It is about 8mm off compared to the other side. It isn't immediately apparent by any means, you'd really have to look to see it. It does bother me a little though.

Do you think I'm being too pedantic, or should I shoot an email off the Gransfors?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
What do you mean by 8mm off? Too short?

If I measure from where the helve meets the head and to the lower points, one is 8mm further from the helve than the other. It could be ground down to even it out, but for an axe of this price I don't think it should be like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE