Where, oh where ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
So, we are now retired, and very happy,,,,,
but,

suppose we were to sell our modest house and move to somewhere where we were more in the wilds, chance to shoot and fish a bit, where is there that land is not crazily expensive ?
Can one buy a two bed cottage with a couple of sheds and a decent veg garden for say under £250000 anywhere in the UK ? Or am I just hopelessly out of date ?

• Love
Reactions: Le Loup

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you look right up the north of Scotland, up in Caithness, then yes.

Just for instance.
Not so accessible to get stuff delivered, sellers add excess onto the postage costs. Not so accessible to major hospitals, and that can matter as you get older, though that's a choice in itself whether or not to do anything about it.

Still though, if it suits :)

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
but,

suppose we were to sell our modest house and move to somewhere where we were more in the wilds, chance to shoot and fish a bit, where is there that land is not crazily expensive ?
Can one buy a two bed cottage with a couple of sheds and a decent veg garden for say under £250000 anywhere in the UK ? Or am I just hopelessly out of date ?

I would think there are many areas - it depends on how much privacy you want and how much land.

Here's an example in Powys:

Reactions: bigbear and Le Loup

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
but,

There are masses in Lincolnshire. Rural, semi rural or village. Lots of shooting, sea fishing, wildfowling and freshwater fish here.

To keep prices reasonable look to the "edges of the UK except the South. East coast, West Wales, North Scotland, islands.

Reactions: bigbear and Le Loup

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
5 bed, workshop, garden, https://www.hebridean-estate-agency.co.uk/property/48-habost-ness-isle-of-lewis-hs2-0tg/

4 bed, a bit dated, croft next door 2+acres available, outbuilding, https://www.hebridean-estate-agency.co.uk/property/17a-shulishader-point-isle-of-lewis-hs2-0pu/

4 bed, 16 acre croft inc https://www.western-isles-propertie...ft-at-8-tobson-bernera-isle-of-lewis-hs2-9na/

3 bed, half an acre, outbuilding, looks like a bit of tlc required but £100K https://www.derekmackenzie.com/index.php/property/house-flats/51-north-galson

Lewis with Stornaway has Tescos, Coop, industrial estate, A&E, drs, dentists, golf club, restaurants etc etc that northern Scottish mainland might not. But ferries are delayed with the weather, and depending where your house is, it can be breezy all the time!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nomad Capitalist has an interesting YT series looking at different countries and the offerings , Pro's , Cons etc - he has also produced a book. Has looked quite in depth at Central Europe if you are adventurous.

Mossy Bottom man is based in ( wet ) Ireland. Money goes a LONG way here it seems if you fancy a more rustic lifestyle - with the appropriate downside.

He is showing different cottages in his area.

Reactions: bigbear

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
5 bed, workshop, garden, https://www.hebridean-estate-agency.co.uk/property/48-habost-ness-isle-of-lewis-hs2-0tg/

4 bed, a bit dated, croft next door 2+acres available, outbuilding, https://www.hebridean-estate-agency.co.uk/property/17a-shulishader-point-isle-of-lewis-hs2-0pu/

4 bed, 16 acre croft inc https://www.western-isles-propertie...ft-at-8-tobson-bernera-isle-of-lewis-hs2-9na/

3 bed, half an acre, outbuilding, looks like a bit of tlc required but £100K https://www.derekmackenzie.com/index.php/property/house-flats/51-north-galson

Lewis with Stornaway has Tescos, Coop, industrial estate, A&E, drs, dentists, golf club, restaurants etc etc that northern Scottish mainland might not. But ferries are delayed with the weather, and depending where your house is, it can be breezy all the time!
That 3 bedroom on Lewis looks like Father Teds. :)

but,

Firstly bigbear I would contact the real estate offices & let them know what you are looking for. Next I would take some country drives & see what there is. When I moved I found that the land I had intended to purchase did not have a building permit. So I had a look around. I came across two places who were willing to sell me a part of their property, I purchased the second one. I now live in a forest with two houses.
Don't give up bigbear, & consider all options. Living off grid is great.
Regards, Keith.
An ex West Sussex lad.
78-rpm-records-021.jpg

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Anywhere in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland ... :)

Mind, there's lots of people heading there and prices are creeping up. A friend of mine bought a smallholding in NS about ten years ago. He was on holiday there. Had a credit card with a $3000 dollars on it. Just bought it.

Staggeringly, weak at the knees, beautiful over there. Like you have to reach out and touch it to make sure it is real.

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anywhere in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland ... :)

Mind, there's lots of people heading there and prices are creeping up. A friend of mine bought a smallholding in NS about ten years ago. He was on holiday there. Had a credit card with a $3000 dollars on it. Just bought it.

Staggeringly, weak at the knees, beautiful over there. Like you have to reach out and touch it to make sure it is real.

I remember looking at NS years ago.

Arn't the winters super harsh?? Bit of a Midge/black fly issue??

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Thanks for your views, a lot to think about.
Whilst I love the Highlands and further North I would be hesitant to move there, I know a couple who moved up decades ago, built their own house, did a huge amount for the community, but were made to feel that they were still effin sassenachs when drink had flowed. So much so that they sold up and moved south.
Just one story, but I know the folk, they are gentle types, and it hurt them that there was still residual dislike,not to say hatred, of them in a place where they thought they had made a home.
Will certainly look at some of the suggestions.
Thanks again

Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thanks for your views, a lot to think about.
Whilst I love the Highlands and further North I would be hesitant to move there, I know a couple who moved up decades ago, built their own house, did a huge amount for the community, but were made to feel that they were still effin sassenachs when drink had flowed. So much so that they sold up and moved south.
Just one story, but I know the folk, they are gentle types, and it hurt them that there was still residual dislike,not to say hatred, of them in a place where they thought they had made a home.
Will certainly look at some of the suggestions.
Thanks again

A##holes are an eternal epidemic.

Don't think you can escape them

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I don't think that's universal though .. I have friends on Harris that got absolutely swept up by the people there.

Reactions: Broch

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
We moved up to Lewis from down south and have received both sides from families of long standing. There are also many who have moved here though which means they all need to make friends rather than stick in their own closed loop. On our quiet road its maybe 60/40, though maybe different where it's more built up or in (the) town.
The housing selection for sale is tiny compared to pre-covid, many folk have moved up. Builders are busy.
Within those long standing familes there are generation old disputes (since a family croft means static interests here sometimes since Leverhulme), and also there are unpleasant individuals as normal. One old local said don't feel you're being singled out by weasel words behind your back, they do that to everyone :)

Edited to add the only holiday house near here is the biggest and most expensive one, only used a couple of weeks a year max and is owned by a long standing local family member. All nearby incomers live here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winnet

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
but were made to feel that they were still effin sassenachs when drink had flowed.

The problem around here is that some of the 'Saesnegs' try to change the community to what it was where they escaped from. The culture in rural Wales is very individual and, after an initial 'assessment' period (2 months to 20 years), people that try to fit in usually do. But, if you join the local WI or the pub dominoes team, and start telling them how they've been doing it wrong for their entire lives, you'll not be welcome; the Welsh do not welcome change :)

And, I suspect, that is true in any rural community throughout Britain. Don't let the stories put you off though; if you're prepared to 'fit in' you probably will - I know many people who have.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR and Winnet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE