Where is your favourite place to camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Hi everyone.
Just wondering where everyones favourite place to camp is, and why?

Having only camped twice so far i would have to say that mine is a pine forest in Ayre. We were so far from anywhere and the place was very peaceful. We had a huge campfire in a designated stoned off area and cooking on it and just sitting by it at night was brilliant!

My second camp wasn't so successful. I took my nephew away for the weekend to a campsite near where we live. The guy that owned the site was incredibly interesting, he had recently travelled in the artic with snow dogs for a local charity. Camping out in -25oc (very brave). Unfortunatly my nephew disliked camping. He whinged about spiders, the cold weather, wet grass. We had to make a mad dash for home on saturday evening because my nephew wouldn't use the camp site toilets for....a number 2!!!

Anyway!! Whats your favourite and why????

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Hmm i really do not know,Ive camped all over in so little time, i would say Willingham Woods since in the wood part it has this awesome storybook-enchanting kind of feeling about it and was really relaxed their, also we had a good cushy camp. But another one of my best camps is Dixon woods only about 400 metres wide/ 500 metres long Full of paths,litter right next to a main road, horrible place normally to camp but its the only place close to us in town, It is good since i have camped their about 5 times now and every one has been great since i go with friends and we have a good laugh,also mainly because i have the place mapped out mentally and know where the best places are.

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Wouldnt want to be specific about actual sites,somewhere between Peterborough and Kettering if that helps:rolleyes: Its an interesting point about having a mental map,I've found that over the years of watching wildlife and walking during the day,you come across "sites" that can be used for a stopover at some other time, along with a mental note of local resources such as a fallen Birch tree for example.So you can find your fave places almost by accident,by doing what I've described as some sort of "subconscious recce";)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Depends what sort of camping, for luxury and memorys then http://www.fauxquets.co.uk/ or North lee's campsite in Hathersage (even with the thieving sheep).
As far as wild places the mountains south of Fussen in germany will always hold a special place in my heart, cold like hell in winter but the views are outstanding, and have always found the Germans very hospitable :)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Anywhere as long as it's dry or snowy - preferably both. I'm a rainophobe!
Seriously... there's no way I could pick one place, I love many for different reasons. Generically though, I love forests for the huge variety of interests they contain; the trees, the wildlife, and also for the resources you can utilise. There's something about making just a small area of it a temporary home from home :)
The opposite end of the spectrum is open mountains. Rugged beauty - the sense of scale, perspective, isolation and awe you get sitting watching a winter dawn - sun creeping up over crisp snow and misty valleys.
I think I'll always hold a special place in my heart for the Brecon beacons - a kind of love-hate relationship maybe, but I've had so many great experiences there... and of course rose-tinted glasses always help :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Anywhere, I just love being in the outdoors! But if I had to choose then I would say the best place I have bivvied up in this country was at Blackbeck Tarn nr Haystacks over looking Crummock Water (Lake District).
Abroad I would have to say snowholing in Norway, for me, is hard to beat!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Definitely my times in Germany. Sometimes I got sick of camping in pine woodland, but being able to gather cow berries and wild funghi, watch deer, boar and eagles in their natural enviornment and to get spooked because we were camping straight across the road from Gedenkstätte Bergen-Belsen certainly made for some brilliant nights, and days, out.

Jan 12, 2006
wiltshire
im not goin to bet specific, a wood near west kennet, its mixed woodland with a farmers stand pipe just near where we camp so no probs with that and we can do anything we want becouse we rent it out it was the best move ive made in my life and its soo good for practicing skills or just loafing no dog turds to worry about or peskie walkers saying im telling the police your camping here !!!!!!!

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Again, I like to camp in the small wood close to where I live. To my knowledge, and I pass by there regulary while walking, It has only been used once in the past 3 years I've been going there. It's a small plateau on a hill so very discreet and it's the place of most of my bushcrft firsts.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Wouldnt want to be specific about actual sites,somewhere between Peterborough and Kettering if that helps:rolleyes: Its an interesting point about having a mental map,I've found that over the years of watching wildlife and walking during the day,you come across "sites" that can be used for a stopover at some other time, along with a mental note of local resources such as a fallen Birch tree for example.So you can find your fave places almost by accident,by doing what I've described as some sort of "subconscious recce";)

I think i know the woods you mean i have been there a few times not to camp but have thought about it, if they are the same ones

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE