Where do you get good steel for knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Thats an excellent link, MadRussian - Thank you :)

Maybe I'll take one of my not-so-good girls to Texas just to check the place out.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I buy all my new specialty steels from a company in Palatine Illinois - called Admiral Steel. They carry all types, but do sell small quantities of the most poplular steels used by knife makers. They are a huge wholesale/wharehouse supplier of steel, but have carved out a small part of the market for Knife Makers. So they can and will sell you small quantities of any of the knife-making steels. Their web site is something like admiralsteelonline.com - but a web search should bring it up. Be sure to tell them that you are a Knife Maker when you contact them, otherwise they will think that you are just another machine shop - and price accordingly.

Oops - missed the post below with the link to Admiral Steel. Just make sure you tell them that you are a Knife Maker.

But if you just want some new (or used) steel to start playing around with, get ahold of some Lawn Mower Blades. They are generally 1085 carbon steel, or 5160 alloy steel. Both are good for knife making - and pretty cheap. If you search through the blades, you will find several different thicknesses, and a variety of widths. But most are at least 2 inches wide, and 3/16 inches thick.

Also check out some of the farm implement parts at a store like Farm Fleet. The bolt-on replacement Plow Shares and cultivator points are generally 1080 carbon steel. So are the "knives" for the big rotary mowers. And the replacement tines/teeth for the hay rakes are either 1080 or 1095 spring/tool carbon steel. I use the hay rake teeth to make some flint strikers out of. One tooth runs around $1.09 at the local Farm Fleet store, and I end up with about 3 feet of 1/4 inch round rod by the time I straighten it all out.

I prefer to use NEW steel, either bought from Admiral Steel or from the farm store - because some used steel can have hidden flaws/cracks/memory in it. I've heard numerous stories of people making a knife blade out of an old vehicle leaf spring only to have it always warp back to that original curve it had. Sometimes you just can't correct that built up "memory" in used steel. I also had a coil spring from a small trailer that would develop a split all along it when I tried forging it. That split showed up in almost every part of that used spring. So now I prefer to start with new steel. Altho, I haven't had any problems using old lawn mower blades - so far.

Good luck on your quest for Steel.

Mikey - out in the Hinterlands of the upper Midwest

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i use old circular saw blades! good steel and easy to come by! heres a pic of some i made recently!

IMAG0003-3.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Very nice! How did you do that? Just cut out the pattern on the blade with a hacksaw and neaten it up n put a bevel on it with a file?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE