Where do I start in leather craft?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've seen the work of several talented latherworks on this forum (I won't name names to save blushes) and I want to have a go myself.
I'm looking for advice on good publications or websites to help me out and if anyone could answer any questions I have along my journey I would be most grateful.
I'm not intersted in buying any "starter" kits to make a few handbags or purses, I want to know what kit I need to start on knife sheaths and the type of leather etc.

A big ask I know, but I know you guys will come through. :You_Rock_

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Just got intae leathercraft myself around 6 months ago so still learning as i go but i can tell you what tools i have so far found essential which are my stitch groover, 4 toothes stitching prong, and awl. these alone give me very consistent stitches and make life alot simpler! recently got myself an edge groover which puts a nice finish on edges coupled with saliva and a bit of elbow grease with the smooth plastic of my swiss army knife for burnishing. edge cote iv found seals edges up real nicely too.

and i leave you in the trusted hands of George Hurst. tonnes of great FREE videos here that have helped me alot

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.co.u.../Leathercraft-Videos/Leathercraft-Videos.aspx

Hope thats a little help and good luck look forward tae seeing your creations

Hamish

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Grab some thread, needles, stitch wheel, edge beverler and stitch groover. Oh and some 2 or 3mm veg tan and get cracking!
I started an age ago by just phoning Leprevo and saying "help" They sorted me out with all i needed. Dont do a lot these days unless something gets lost or needs repairing. Very usefell skill.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I've only had one go at leather work, and following advice from various members on this forum I did it DIY style just using tools atound the house - old fork, brad awl, stanley knife, wool sewing needle etc.

I used the leather from an old pair of shoes, so the whole project cost me nothing.

It gave me a great idea of what tools I do want for my next go - stitch marker, stitch groover, decent awl and decent needles.

Great learning experience before dropping some cash, plus SHMBO loves the "rustic" looking sheath for her folder.

Alex

(edit for poor spelling)

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
good luck mate looking forward to seeing what you make, if you ever need any advice please dont hesitate to ask.
take care.
lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE