Where cani learn about knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Just wondering whether theres a book that can teach me about different steels and theyre purpose, or if someone can help educate me.

So far I know stainless steel doesnt rust as easy.
Something about only buying moras, because everything else is just pointless and unessesary.
I dont think ill ask for opinions in this one..

But what are things like

Japanese Aus 8a steel
110x18 stainless steel
440 steel
12C27 sandvic steel

Etc etc

And whats there purpose.
Thanks
Adam

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
BB is the place to ask for info. If they don't know the answer then it's probably not worth knowing. Give them a try, you won't be sorry. Way better than any book and virtually instant answers, what more do you need?

Gythral

Jul 5, 2012
Highlands
Please dont send this troll to other fora for advice - all that will do is waste peoples time elsewhere!
As has been demonstrated here by the other threads asking for advice, then arguing with the responders or wanting to use tools illegally!

The info. being asked for is readily available to anyone prepared to do some basic 'googlefu' and spend a little time reading!

And to save you the google fu http://ajh-knives.com/metals.html

Last edited:

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Please dont send this troll to other fora for advice - all that will do is waste peoples time elsewhere!
As has been demonstrated here by the other threads asking for advice, then arguing with the responders or wanting to use tools illegally!

The info. being asked for is readily available to anyone prepared to do some basic 'googlefu' and spend a little time reading!

What you talking about, I responded to trolls.. like I am responding to you, you try and cope with people laughing at you and teasing.
I didnt respond unkindly to anyone *helping* me.

And it was just one thread I beleive..

Your actualky targetting me, using a secondary account.. and demonstrating exaggeration to demean

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
THIS book, is well written, interesting and quite easy to read. It will tell you a huge amount about steels used in knifemaking and where you can get them for scrap prices.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

And to save you the google fu http://ajh-knives.com/metals.html

Give the guy a break, he wants answers and advice, not criticism or people taking the mickey. if you don't have anything to contirbute, then don't read and don't post on the threads. Simple.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm fairly certain the op is genuine, I would say that he's been reading too much on here and is unnecessarily worried by the little idiosyncrasies that we display on here. It can be quite daunting for someone to read a discussion on, say for arguments sake, the benefits of 3.6mm paracord over 3.7mm or if putting a button on your day pack in a certain position is better than a different button in a different place (you get the gist). Some people know that it doesn't matter a jot, others don't and may get confused. Has nobody considered that the chap might have a faint touch of aspergers (a lot of people do) rather than troll-like tendencies?

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I'm fairly certain the op is genuine, I would say that he's been reading too much on here and is unnecessarily worried by the little idiosyncrasies that we display on here. It can be quite daunting for someone to read a discussion on, say for arguments sake, the benefits of 3.6mm paracord over 3.7mm or if putting a button on your day pack in a certain position is better than a different button in a different place (you get the gist). Some people know that it doesn't matter a jot, others don't and may get confused. Has nobody considered that the chap might have a faint touch of aspergers (a lot of people do) rather than troll-like tendencies?

In what way is the 0.1 mm difference on the paracord benificial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE