Where can I safely practice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I appreciate that this must be the most FAQ on here, but hopefully it's unique enough to justify my asking.

As my introduction post explains, I haven't been at this for very long - my longest solo camp, in fact, was about 2 days, on Bodmin Moor. Even then, I can't claim this was real bushcraft because I went fuly equipped with stove, food and tent.

My main problem, that I hope to get help with, is that living just outside Manchester I have very few places in which to safely practice. As much as I respect the related laws, I'm sick and tired of constantly being told by people on other 'outdoor' forums that I can't 'wild camp' in the UK and I CERTAINLY can't have open fires.

So my question is this: Does anyone know of any remote locations (within about 10 miles of Manchester preferbaly) where I can set up camp and utalise open fires, without the threat of interruption?

Thanks in advance.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hi mate,

have a look at the Middlewood thread, the guys are there this weekend, or if you like look at the Midlands Winter meet in December. Lots come down to it from your way .

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks, Andy. I'll do just that!

I might be back asking for a link if I can't find the thread - I've only just registered and am still getting to grips with everything on offer here.

[edit] I've searched, Andy, but no results for Middlewood. Where should be looking, please?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
As much as I respect the related laws, I'm sick and tired of constantly being told by people on other 'outdoor' forums that I can't 'wild camp' in the UK and I CERTAINLY can't have open fires.

Up here, in Scotland, you CAN wild camp indeed it's my preferred camping method. You CAN light campfires only if you leave no trace.

It's totallly legal to do so within reasonable conditons. Scottish Outdoor Access Code.

Nick

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Well, if you think you've got it bad, I live in the south east - the most densely populated part of the UK.
And I (and my fellow campers) wild camp all the time. It's just about the only option.
Yeah, technically it is illegal, but if you are careful about where you go (best to avoid Forestry Commission), keep fires small (no bigger than a sheet of A4 in ground size), clear up fully after yourself, and make sure you are not observable from anywhere...well, then no one will be too bothered. That's the reality of it. And as long as you aren't making a complete berk of yourself then if you are caught the worse that will happen is that you'll just be asked to move on. I've been camping/bushcrafting for nigh-on 20 years. And I've never been 'caught' or told to move on. That probably puts it into perspective.
And don't worry about some of the kit you are carrying. 99% of the people on here use stoves (of one variety or another) and take food with them. 'Bushcraft' (for me) is about more than just 'living off the land'. Yeah, that's part of it. But it's also about a state of mind. An attitude. An outlook. All those unquantifiable things. And as experience grows, you'll learn one or two tricks, realise you can do without one or two pieces of kit. You'll even stop using that blasted tent! (well, I suppose this time of year they can be useful).
Enjoy.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
This may sound stupid but if you've got permission to be there and have a fire, as long as you're not doing any damage (not that a true bushcrafter does), why's it illegal?

Good point about bushcraft being a state of mind though, I suppose it's an ability too - being to live with as few comforts as possible and in most cases the ability to identify, and find wild food (whether you choose to or not is up to you). And, more importantly, to do it in such a way that you enjoy it!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
You can get out and about and practise your plant identification, tracking, cordage-making etc... any nature reserve, country park, riverside will allow you to practice those tasks. You can select fallen wood and take home a couple of bits to make a bowdrill, or carve a kuksa.

You can take a hammock / tarp to your local woods and practice your knots and setup, and if you're careful you can probably brew up a kelly kettle or a hobo stove.

There's more to bushcraft than sleeping overnight and burning things. ;)

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
This may sound stupid but if you've got permission to be there and have a fire, as long as you're not doing any damage (not that a true bushcrafter does), why's it illegal?

I ask myself that all the time. Like most things, it's a case of the idiots leaving piles of charred firewood and beer cans about the place, spoiling it for those of us who really do appreciate the outdoors.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere

Yes, if you've got permission to be there then it's not illegal.
But the question was about wild camping - which, by definition, means you haven't got permission to be there. And so, therefore, illegal. Unfortunately.
But that's never stopped me.
And (because we wouldn't want to be seen supporting such illegal activity, children) any decision to go wild camping (illegally) has to be the decision of the individual. I choose to do it. But that's my choice. I wouldn't condone it in anyone else. Blah blah blah.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
And (because we wouldn't want to be seen supporting such illegal activity, children) any decision to go wild camping (illegally) has to be the decision of the individual. I choose to do it. But that's my choice. I wouldn't condone it in anyone else. Blah blah blah.

:D Would you like to not recommend a place in NW England where I can go and not condone it too?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
:D Would you like to not recommend a place in NW England where I can go and not condone it too?

Well, since I live in the exact opposite part of England, it's hard to recommend somewhere.
However, were I to be irresponsible enough to suggest somewhere to someone not to go, I would tell them what a lucky so-and-so they are to live so close to the Lake District.
As a more general piece of advice that I wouldn't give, I might suggest they get an Ordnance Survey map and have a look around for an isolated bit of woodland, away from any houses or farm buildings or sight of inquisitive eyes, and suggest they do not use it. I am sure that such a person will find that there are not all manner of patches of woods dotted around just a few miles outside town/city centres that are ideal spots for not camping in. Because that would be illegal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Folks we have a disclaimer and we ask that you acknowledge it.

BcUK does not condone illegal activity and will not promote it on the forum.

There is already a thread running asking about suitable sites, perhaps someone could find the older thread on suitable campsites, I'm sure that there was a lot of advice offered there that was very relevant.

cheers,
Toddy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Folks we have a disclaimer and we ask that you acknowledge it.

BcUK does not condone illegal activity and will not promote it on the forum.

There is already a thread running asking about suitable sites, perhaps someone could find the older thread on suitable campsites, I'm sure that there was a lot of advice offered there that was very relevant.

cheers,
Toddy

Sorry :naughty: :sulkoff:

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester

cheers,
Toddy

Sorry, Toddy. Any clues to the whereabout of that thread? Which section, thread title etc etc?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your question was perfectly valid, the other thread only came to mind because it seemed relevant to the topic.
I'll have a looksee.

cheers,
Toddy

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks very much, Toddy. I think I can find it from that.

[edit] And then again... There's no thread with that title in Out and About, Toddy??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE