where can i get thick stropping leather sheet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all.

Been wanting to buy a proper strop for ages now. Currently using my leather belt but it is rather thin and I'd prefer something wider and sturdier that I can lay along the edge of a table that won't move as a run the knife along it. Some some sort of sheet leather would be ideal.

Any idea where I can get hold of some?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Excellent thank you.
A little longer than I needed but oh well I bought one anyway. The extra scraps should come in handy in the future I suppose.

Should I get some Autosol metal polish to go with it now?

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Yep you wont go wrong with that , you can make a couple of strops you could also have a piece of leather about 10 " long or so and glue it onto a piece of good wood the same width.Or you could get some bloo poo from longstrider as an alternative to Autosol.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
good idea, will look out for some tree stumps/logs while I;m out and about.
what's bloo poo and is it as good as what I hear Autosol is?

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
good idea, will look out for some tree stumps/logs while I;m out and about.
what's bloo poo and is it as good as what I hear Autosol is?

It's better and far less messy. Get some, it's a bargain. I got one block when I bought one of his strops and after using it a couple of time went straight back to him and bought two more blocks. Didn't really need to as one will last you ages but I wanted to stock up.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I'm a fan of stocking up too, I do it for most consumables and stuff I know I'll always need.
So how much does "one block" of this stuff cost? And how long will it last for? I will be sharpening my knives only sparodically, not everyday.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I just bought a really, really nice strop made by Longstriders own hands... Its approx 20" long, 2" wide and 1" deep. Covered in 1mm goat skin and comes with a stick of smurf poo for a very reasonable price!

I've tried several compounds and was very impressed with autosol purchased about a week ago, but the starkie blue's (smurf poo) something else. How long would a block last? with light use, maybe a year or three?

Just a thought, al.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
I'm a fan of stocking up too, I do it for most consumables and stuff I know I'll always need.
So how much does "one block" of this stuff cost? And how long will it last for? I will be sharpening my knives only sparodically, not everyday.

I've dropped you a PM fella. Message Longstrider here or on the BB forum and he'll let you know.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Just a tip, thin leather deforms less and means that you can put plenty of pressure on (to make the strop work better) without risk of rounding the edge off. Thick leather will deform and round your edge.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
The leather arrived today.
It's very stiff like cardboard, should it be supple like my vegetable tanned leather belt is??

I intend to glue it to a 2x4 piece of timber, but should I also glue a strip with the opposite (smooth) side up or is it only the rough side that is used for stropping?

Also what is the best glue or method for sticking leather strips to wood? WOuld PVA glue be okay?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE