Where can I find Rowan Wood for crafts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm in the USA and am having a devil of a time finding some Rowan wood to make some items. Specifically, I want to carve a walking staff and a spoon and cup for my oldest daughter (adult sized) whose name is Rowan. My youngest daughter's name is Holly so she's covered as Holly grows everywhere around here. Any ideas?

I'm in the USA and am having a devil of a time finding some Rowan wood to make some items. Specifically, I want to carve a walking staff and a spoon and cup for my oldest daughter (adult sized) whose name is Rowan. My youngest daughter's name is Holly so she's covered as Holly grows everywhere around here. Any ideas?

snap tho My eldest is Holly and son is Rowan ;)

Rowan is a European tree
Mountain ash is the American tree

they get mixed up over here

it does carve very nicely if a little wet when fresh

ATB

Duncan

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
theres dozens of different rowan trees all in the genus sorbus spread all over the world shouldn't be too hard to find one

yes but they dont all have the common name Rowan associated with them

so while all Rowans are Sorbus not all Sorbus are Rowan

bing, bing, bing, bing, we have a winner! Yes, I'm looking for European Mountain Ash true "Rowan" wood. I can't find it anywhere here and can't even find a website that carries it on the other side of the pond. I was just hoping that you chaps might have some insider information on where a yank could obtain some. Thankee Sai !

bing, bing, bing, bing, we have a winner! Yes, I'm looking for European Mountain Ash true "Rowan" wood. I can't find it anywhere here and can't even find a website that carries it on the other side of the pond. I was just hoping that you chaps might have some insider information on where a yank could obtain some. Thankee Sai !

its not a wood that carried by suppliers that ive seen it doesn't grow vary large (or very old) and pretty sure no commercial use for woodwork its mainly an ornamental tree
and I love Rowan jelly

took me ages to get some for me asking local gardeners when they trimmed out a tree

i was also very lucky to be given a rare Rowan burr which Im saving ( mainly cos i have no idea on the best way to cut it etc )

ATB

Duncan

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Rowan grows all over the highlands of Scotland, it was often planted around settlements as spiritual protection. There is a lot of superstition associated with abusing what is basically a sacred tree going back to ancient times. Many highlanders will never burn rowan in their hearth for instance, even if it's deadfall.

I'm not sure if it's easy to buy Scottish rowan for these reasons.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, even lowlanders are wary of hurting it.

There was a Rowan died and fell over in a high wind in our street; the council workmen lifted it whole and took it to the local country park and laid it in a habitat woodland, rather than shred it.

Small twigs and sticks do get used. Small weaving tools, pin beaters, occasionally arrow shafts, distaffs, that kind of thing.

You could ask Robin Wood; he might know if someone has it for sale.

cheers,
Toddy

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I've got my eye on 3 or 4 rowan branches that'll make nice sticks - a thumbstick, 2 knobsticks & a straight staff. 2 are in my own garden, the other 2 are on verges - let me know what size (length/thickness) you're looking for & I'll see what I can do. I don't have a source for bigger bits for kuskas though.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Two questions:

1. Are we working to any timescales here? (Birthdays, Christmas, or even Thanksgiving!)

2. Is it legal for you to import (parts of) a non-native species?

Was hoping to make the staff for Christmas but her birthday is on spring equinox in March so I could shoot for that.
I don't think importing a wood product is illegal since it's not a live species. Lots of wood products get imported to businesses here
from all over the world so I can't imagine it would be a problem. If it were a live plant, then I might be more concerned. I'm no legal
expert however, and there's pretty much a law making everything illegal or controlled in the world if you look hard enough.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Was hoping to make the staff for Christmas but her birthday is on spring equinox in March so I could shoot for that.

:)

I don't think importing a wood product is illegal since it's not a live species. Lots of wood products get imported to businesses here
from all over the world so I can't imagine it would be a problem. If it were a live plant, then I might be more concerned. I'm no legal
expert however...

I hear you. The reason I ask is that last time I went to work in Los Angeles the sniffer dogs collared me and you'd have thought I was smuggling a Class-A drug. It turned out that they didn't like me importing a meat pie. They wouldn't even let me eat it, they confiscated it. It was very definitely dead, but I was told it was illegal all the same.

The problem with dead wood is that it might bring live fungi, insects, and other such things with it. Invasive species, pests and diseases which affect agriculture etc. can easily cause damage which costs billions. Just one non-native species (Japanese knotweed) is doing that here in the UK right now. I don't know what people have to do when they import timber commercially, but there will be lots of hoops to jump through. Even things like pallets for example have to be treated in some way, usually heat treated nowadays.

Anyway, if you can get past the prohibitions somebody on this side of the pond can probably help. Rowan is common enough over here.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Two questions:

1. Are we working to any timescales here? (Birthdays, Christmas, or even Thanksgiving!)

2. Is it legal for you to import (parts of) a non-native species?

2 good questions. Would need to risk indoor seasoning of a stick to have it for March.

Also need to get a license to import the stick (would hate to have it destroyed) https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/897/~/importing-wood-products-into-the-united-states - and need to have it fumigated over here first. Will need to do some investigation....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE