Where are the butterflies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I cannot say that I have seen many butterflies this year, but one sneaked into my greenhouse, laid eggs and disappeared.....my cabbage seedlings are being devastated by large cabbage white caterpillars :sigh:

• Sad
Reactions: Woody girl

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Hummingbird hawk-moth on Abelia this morning. A bit blurred because the critter wouldn't stop to pose.

hbm2.png

hbm1.png

hbm3.png

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A few more butterflies on my budlia today including peacocks which were absent yesterday.
It's been a bit drier and sunnier today. Still not as many as normal. Many species missing this year. But I'm so glad to see them. I was beginning to get realy worried.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I spotted something that looked like a bird in distress in the garden a few years ago. Then realised I hadn't a clue what it was. Turned out to be a hummingbird moth being stung by a wasp !

I didn't even know we had those moths here.

Rather poor photos, since it was literally a blur, but on this thread....

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Walking down the grass track to the near wood, scrub to my left, meadow to my right, and I'm walking through clouds of Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Small Copper, Small Skipper, Common Blue, and Large Whites - we've never had so many butterflies :)

The Small Tortoiseshell don't move off the banks of marjoram nearer the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: slimshady and Toddy

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
We've had plenty of large white (Pieris brassicae) on the lavender, here, for the past couple of months. Over the past two weeks, other species have begun to appear, but I'm not so good at identifying them. Maybe tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychloros) and meadow brown (Maniola jurtina).

I've seen a hummingbird hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) a couple of times but wasn't quick enough to get a photo.

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm starting to conclude this year is just.... different. We have a good number of butterflies now, saw seven peacocks on the buddleia today. Plenty of various skippers, browns, blues, tortoiseshells, whites etc in the fields and the fritillaries have made their way up to the house from the woodland. Plenty of bumbles about, the knapweed is covered in orange tailed critters. Spear thistles are home to many other bumbles and solitary bees, the everlasting sweet pea seems to be loved by the leaf cutter bees. We also now have plenty of ladybirds about, unlike last year where I saw hardly any. Somewhat strangley our honey bees seem to think the season is over whereas in previous years they'd be out in numbers on the knapweed and brambles.

Speaking of peacocks, what native plants do people see them? We have plenty of red admirals about and they are now on the buddleia but before that was out they were on other flowers such as the privet but I dont recall the peacocks on anything else. I also have loads of nettles about and havent seen any caterpillars on them, which is unusual.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Peacocks will feed on most nectar producing flowers in my experience - they seem keen on our bramble; the caterpillars, only on Common Nettle. In autumn we get them on the rotting apples and the over-ripe blackberries.

The plant with the most bee, hoverfly and butterfly species on at the moment is the marjoram.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Plenty of butterflies in our garden yesterday. First time I've seen a "normal" number of them this year. :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A very good Year for butterflies here in Shropshire. I thought it might be soa couple of months ago when we got lots of June bugs. We’ve only had one or two in recent years. Wasps nest right under the grandchildren’s swings. We shall let the threads of time sort them out unless we really have to. Lots of hover flies = lots of young robins and the odd horseshoe bat. Most bees round here are of the hairy white arsed variety but two sizes of bumble bee and a rock dwelling bee. This latest week of alternating rain and sun seems to have worked wonders. That and the superb nettle crop this year. I was instructed regarding NoMo May and have responded with a NoMo 2023. It seems to have worked!

Reactions: Toddy and Ystranc

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
Really? wasps and hornets are fantastic, beautiful, creatures that play an important role in the ecosystem.

I have an allergic reaction to wasp stings, if stung on the hand it will swell up like a Marigold glove that you've blown into - yet, I still won't kill them.
Northerb European Hornets are fascinating gentle beasts.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Speaking of peacocks, what native plants do people see them? We have plenty of red admirals about and they are now on the buddleia but before that was out they were on other flowers such as the privet but I dont recall the peacocks on anything else. I also have loads of nettles about and havent seen any caterpillars on them, which is unusual.

They flutter in great numbers on the ivy that covers our garden fences that run alongside the woodland.

Reactions: ManFriday4

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I went out to put something in the car last night, and the Evening Primroses were in full bloom and absolutely full of moths. Great big cabbage white sized moths.
Evening primroses are very easy to grow, not toxic, break down well in the compost bins, and the moths love them.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Funnily enough, whilst out walking on the Downs at the weekend I thought just the same thing - 'what a lot of moths'.
They were mainly common carpet moths and treble bar moths, but a noticeable number. Saw this oddly coloured, but very small, moth as well. I tried my hardest to get a decent, diagnostic, picture but the little bugger just wouldn't sit still long enough. Love to know what it was - never seen anything like it before.
I've noticed an increase in number of garden tiger moths as well this year.
The blue butterflies seem to have got their second wind. Saw a few adonis blues flitting about, and a chalk hill blue.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think you are 100% right. Uncle Google agrees.

What tree did you find it on/under?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE