When spiders attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
A report in 'The Times of India' states that a swarm of tarantula-type spider attacked a village in Upper Assam India and may have caused the deaths of 2 people.

"On May 8. Most of the inhabitants of Chaulkhowa Nagaon village had been to a Bihu function. When the programme drew to a close, swarms of spiders suddenly descended from nowhere and started biting the people."

Now these spiders didn't just give people a nip then scuttle off.
Oh no. These buggers have learned a thing or two.

"Some of the victims claimed the spider latched onto them after biting."

These spiders have serious atittude problems.

"This spider attacks if you try to scare it off. Those who were bitten have said that when they tried to shoo it off, it leapt at them and buried its fangs."

Here's the link to the full article.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Assam-town-kill-two/articleshow/13753398.cms,
Try not to have nightmares.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
An extract from that link: "But all the bite patients first went to witch doctors, who cut open their wounds with razors, drained out blood and burnt it."

.....I am so grateful that we have the NHS!
:)

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
When I was in Nigeria, I found a spider in my bedroom one night.
It was about 2.5 inches across, the body about the size of the end digit of my pinky finger.
No way I was going to sleep with that in the room, so smacked it hard with my flip-flop......
The little b*gger jumped, turning round to face me - the second smack was with one of my
leather soled brogues..... :lmao:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
When I was in Nigeria, I found a spider in my bedroom one night.
It was about 2.5 inches across, the body about the size of the end digit of my pinky finger.
No way I was going to sleep with that in the room, so smacked it hard with my flip-flop......
The little b*gger jumped, turning round to face me - the second smack was with one of my
leather soled brogues..... :lmao:

this could've been written for you, enjoy

[video=youtube;Camff0FRRXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Camff0FRRXw[/video]

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting story, not least because spiders do not act in groups like ants or bees. There are no true social spiders, especially amongst the types normally referred to as tarantulas. For a new species like this to just appear is very unusual. I am reminded of the John Wyndham story, "Web", about venomous social spiders...

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'll stick to Scandinavia with it's mosquitos, biting flies and ticks, thank you very much.
At least those are feld in check by frost and snow for 6 months a year....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE