Whelk advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi there!

A friend has just sent me a message on facebook, asking for advice from the Oracle that is BCUK...

Copy... Paste...

Hello Honey!
Do you, or anyone you know on the bushcrafty website know about eating dog whelks? We caught some today and want to eat them for dinner, had them in two trays of salted water, but one was slightly less salty than recommended. The tray wit...h the correct amount had lots of movement from the whelks n they produced a slimy and poo-y-looking-stuff, but when I changed their water it smelt cheesy n unpleasant. Dont knoww if it smelt like that beacause some of them died and so will I if I eat them, or if thats just the smell of their poo.........
Obviously I dont want to just throw them away because it would be such a waste, and I WANT THEM FOR MY DINNER.
Help! Love youuuuuuu xxxxxxx

Having never kept them for any amount of time, I'm passing it on to those more knowledgable.

Thank you! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheesy whelk poo, fantastic

The only one's I've ever eaten have been mixed in with Winkles and I've just given them the same treatment.
A couple of hours in salt water will let them "cleanse" themselves (cheesy poo) and then boiled in fresh salt water for 10 - 15 mins.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Long time since I prepared any but as they can be tough they pickle well, just malt vinegar and lots of white pepper; jar them up and leave a week in the fridge. They also make the base of a good soup.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
if caught and eaten on the same day they will be ok, no need to purge them as the entire stomach sack and contents are / can be removed before you eat them, dog whelks are very nice, u need a quite few for a decent meal though. Nom nom nom!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I woud be very wary of any shellfish that smelled bad,give them a good wash and if they still smell,BIN THEM.I don't think a smell can be correctly diagnosed over the internet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE