What's your favourite tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
The title says it all.

My favourite tree is Birch. It's exellent for firelighting. It has a nice grain, wich is nice for carving and knife handles. The bark can be used for a lot of things, even canoes. The sap of the birch tree is amazing. I love to harvest it in march. It's got such a nice flavour.

Now, what is your favourite tree?

Michiel

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would have to agree that Birch is the most useful tree and that a stand of Birch on a hillside looks superb. However, I am also fond of Alder. When you cut it it has a beautiful ogange colour and I love its association with streams, which reminds me of remote places and fishing for trout. This in turn makes me think of fires on a shingle bank and lazy days canoeing on lochs where both the Birch and the Alder grow. :rolleyes:

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
I like the birch for the amount of things you can do with it but to be honest i don't have a favourite. I like them all, trees in general. I like the great redwood, those trees are masive, i have a pub near me that has a huge one right outside the door. I like the yew too, one of the ancient species. Oak, beech, pine, you name it i like it.

Thorfinn (hugging trees) :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Birch for utility, spindle for the awsomely beautiful seed cases, ancient yews for making me feel truly humble.

In the words of "Deep Thought"...tricky ;)

Red

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I love birch for its uses but if we are just talking about which one i love just for the look of it and memorys etc it has to be the beech tree ;) .

This may sound a little tree hugging but i love the look of the leaves on a sunny day, kinda reminds me of water and my first days camping.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
dwardo said:
I love birch for its uses but if we are just talking about which one i love just for the look of it and memorys etc it has to be the beech tree ;) .

This may sound a little tree hugging but i love the look of the leaves on a sunny day, kinda reminds me of water and my first days camping.
We humans often show our affection for the people/animals/etc. we like so what wrong with giving a great tree a hug. I wonder if our ancestors did it. Something else for Mr Mears to ponder. :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I also vote Birch as I have a great big Silver Birch that dominates my alloment (I have nicknamed it Birchtree plot as a tribute).

Matt.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All native species!
No matter where I am - N America, South Africa etc - native trees good - imports bad (except in arboretae)!
Fave Brit tree - Oak food, tools fire, shelter etc plus memories and glorious good looks! It has it all!
John

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
So many woods for so many uses....I just LOVE the feeling of being in a sun-lit wood....one of the few things that sooths my soul.

For fire lighting and carving it has to be Birch

For furniture making Oak (for longevity) and pine for it's ease of working

For BBQing oak or ash - charcoal like embers with oak that last and last

For (canoe) paddles it's gotta be ash (although when seasoned OH MY GOD it's a hard wood to work!)

For teas, pine (scots!) needles, or lime (if you can ever find it!)

for cooking with Venison Juniper for the berries (does that really count as a tree???!? :rolleyes: ) for the flavour...or for that matter drying/curing meat

For fire lighting....anyone ever tried Elderberry?!? Makes great wine too!

and for the best icecream in the world, black Mulberry's from the mulberry tree!!!!

And to look at....ALL of them! :D

Phil

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Larch and Beech! :D

Larch because of its elegant branches and cones. Pluss i think its just a beautifull tree for reasons i cant put my finger on, just something about it.

I also like Beech, especially in the spring with the bluebells when the new leaves are such a fresh green colour (nice thought) . The wood is also a nice colour and has a lovely grain. (nice for making spoons i think)

Beech and Larch trees are a nice combination too!

But to be honest i like all kinds of trees! I have have nice things to say about them all and in mixed woodland they all compliment eachother.

Jon :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The English Oak....It is a truly beautiful tree, holds a vast amount of wildlife, and has a very strong wood. It also smells lovely when freshly cut.....I find the old ones have a character about them and a presence....I could quite happily sit in the shadow of one, one sunny summers afternoon, with a bottle of wine and be very content....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE