Whats your favourite piece of winter clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have 3 outfits. Depends upon the temperature and the wind. My Eddie Bauer down parka for -20C and colder, OK for wind.
Carhartt chore coat + NatGear Snocamo smock for warmer up to 0C with wind and/or snow.
Pants are flannel cloth lined. Fantastic in the wind. Gross if wet so only in the cold.
Gloves and boots are snowmobile riding kit.
Windproof storm jacket and a choice of thick wool sweaters, 0C to +10C in the rain.
Greb Kodiak waterproof leather boots for slushy days.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
For sheer comfort it has to be the alpkit filo down jacket, toasty warm at any temp. Paired with a good pair of hat and gloves with warm socks.

Tonyuk

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My Wiggys Arctic parka. Genuinely breathable in my personal experience, and as comfy and warm as any down parka, no matter how expensive. Major difference is that it keeps warm even if wet, dries out very quickly and can be thrown in the washer when dirty as I've done on a number of occasions (once you zip off the genuine fur hood trim). Got it in a sale a couple of years ago, and emailed him to ask if he did it in 3xl, as it wasn't available in that size on the website. He made one up for me at the sale price. His manner may be abrupt, but he delivers the goods! (Proper double YKK no 10 zip, too)

The Swedish M90 is brilliant value, although try to get the version with the quilting in the attached hood. Much better than the later version (and yes, I have both versions). I also like the US Army fishtail parka, particularly if you button in two of the quilted linings. Both the M90 and fishtail parkas are pretty heavy though, even heavier if wet, and take a long time to dry out.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Apart from my own facial hair, it has to be long johns too. Stylish and functional ;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Did you know flip flops, were invented by a frenchman called phillipe fallope?

I'd agree with imagedude. Cant choose one article.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK. My favorite. Has to be my Carhartt blanket-lined, canvas chore coat. AKA barn coat, car coat and likely others.
About hip length and almost stiff enough to stand on its own. Carhartt has not made these for more than 15, maybe 20 years.
Good in the wind to -20C.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
6856-92-skinnmssa_zps3p43tqoa.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OK. My favorite. Has to be my Carhartt blanket-lined, canvas chore coat. AKA barn coat, car coat and likely others.
About hip length and almost stiff enough to stand on its own. Carhartt has not made these for more than 15, maybe 20 years.
Good in the wind to -20C.

They still list a few in their catalog?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The stylings are much more modern. Mine looks like it came out of a cowboy movie.
The patches aren't too obvious, there's no blood on it and I have had it washed a couple of times.
The sleeve cuff edges wore out. I found a paraplegic guy that was a magician at leatherwork
so got him to hand sew leather edges, possibly pigskin = looks OK.

Maybe I drag myself, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century and buy a new coat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE