Whats your draw...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Hey Harmonica, I'm only pulling a pound more than you don't consider yourself wimpy, pull what you feel comfortable with, once you get use to the 35lb you'll find your upper body strength will increase and you'll be pulling the arrow of the rest and need to increase your pull weight.

Have fun and enjoy your archery.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
45lbs @ 28" on my 50" Samick SKB (about the same thing as Harmonica shoots).

40ish lbs @28" on my bamboo bundle bow.

30ish lbs @28" on my selfmade neolithic (flat bellied, working grip) style longbow (before it went Boom and departed this world due to a flaw in the wood :( )

And 24lbs @28 on my bamboo laminate bow (first one I made)

Andy

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Peak weight on my compound is 70lbs but that's too much for little me (despite what Joker thinks :D )

James, happy to do more tution whenever we can get together. I fancy a trip up your way so if any opportunities arise give me a shout.#

Generally the longer the draw length the greater the effect on poundage. For example if a bow is rated at 50lbs at 28 inches and I draw it at 27inches the draw weight will drop to about 47-48 ibs (it depends on the bow but 2lbs and inch is a good estimate). Equally if you overdraw the bow (and possibly run the risk of breakage with a longbow) you'll get a high poundage shot.

To be honest the only real advantage to heavier draw weights is a flatter tracjectory, which is particularly useful in field archery where your shooting window is small due to overhanging branches etc.

david

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
moduser said:
To be honest the only real advantage to heavier draw weights is a flatter tracjectory, which is particularly useful in field archery where your shooting window is small due to overhanging branches etc.

david
Also it maintains arrow speed with heavier projectiles, important if you live somewhere that you can bowhunt.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
28lb limbs with an added 10% so about 31lbs at 31". As soon as I can Im getting some new 36lb limbs which I'll again add the 10%. For those of you that are over drawing be very careful they can snap and it has happened to a friend of mine, but saying that for every extra inch I think you add approximately 1.5lbs to the draw. Btw I shoot a KAP winstar, will be a hoyt helix when i can save up the £350

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Sorry ArkAngel but is this question "aimed" at me?
Well as it happens I do like spinich. :D However I have always shot field where you don't know the distance to the target. The higher the weight the flater the arrow shoots. Less chance of missing. :D Have never tried darts with bows. :rolleyes:
All the best,

Geoff

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yes mate 'twas "aimed" at you, although with my shooting cababilities everyone else should duck :D you're quite safe

Never got the chance to try field archery, even compounds were frowned upon at my club. They were a bit old and stuck in their ways bless them, probably why i lost interest and drifted away from the sport.
Makes perfect sense, big power=high speed=flat shooting= lots of points!

How many targets do you shoot at in 'field', it must still be an arm buster with that draw weight:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE