Whats this strange Dutch oven I've been given? Corfield-Sigg aluminium

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Today, I was given this Behemoth Dutch oven that was my great grandmothers.
IMAG0590.jpg

Makers name and model.
IMAG0586.jpg

Instructions to use a missing steel plate.
IMAG0587.jpg

Nested.
IMAG0585.jpg

The thing is baffling me a little.
Googling hasn't brought much joy. I've found the maker and the company but no other Dutch ovens are like this that I've found so far. Its huge, nigh-on 20l and quite light at a couple of Kilos. The lid is very thick aluminium. The half pots are strange as the handle sits inside the pot and they don't make sense. There's nothing like it on Ebay at all. No-one in my family can shed any light either, other than its been known and used as a Dutch oven.

Its pre-war as its got Bakelite covered handles. On the lid is a stamp; " Waterless cooker". "Made in England"

Putting feet on it/making a trivet and cutting some steel sheet isn't going to be hard.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

It would be nice to get it going again and cook a proper sized loaf of bread or a fat soggy cake in the woods :approve:

Any info would be great.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That's what I thought, but there aren't any holes in the top pan to let the steam in. It seems huge for just steaming those 2 small pans.

It looks like an old waterless cookware set - I've seen a newer type (70s) one in use, and they are designed to use low heats and the water in the food to cook more effectively. The smaller pots fit inside and hold diferent things whilst cooking - imagine a joint of meat in the base, veggies in the half pots and potatoes in the top sleeve. The one I saw had tiers for food and a whistle on the lid so you knew when to turn the heat down...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's aluminium you'll need to be careful with it on a campfire.........if you let it cook dry it'll burn the backside out of it and it'll melt. I did that with a dye bath once :sigh: :eek:

I kept looking for the valves on yours tbh. It's awfully like my big old pressure cooker.

It's not meant as a sterilising pot for fruits, etc., is it ?

cheers,
M

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
don't think it's a pressure cooker, there's no catches etc to hold the lid on.

what i'm thinking is......water in the bottom, then the trivet stand to support the two half dishes with the full round dish on top of that, i think the hole in the lid may well have had a low pressure valve to control the steam / heat.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It looks like an old waterless cookware set - I've seen a newer type (70s) one in use, and they are designed to use low heats and the water in the food to cook more effectively. The smaller pots fit inside and hold diferent things whilst cooking - imagine a joint of meat in the base, veggies in the half pots and potatoes in the top sleeve. The one I saw had tiers for food and a whistle on the lid so you knew when to turn the heat down...
That makes sense, It does seem as though its missing something from the hole in the lid. That given me something to go on. :)

If it's aluminium you'll need to be careful with it on a campfire.........if you let it cook dry it'll burn the backside out of it and it'll melt. I did that with a dye bath once :sigh: :eek:

I kept looking for the valves on yours tbh. It's awfully like my big old pressure cooker.

It's not meant as a sterilising pot for fruits, etc., is it ?

cheers,
M
Good thought Mary, not sure.

don't think it's a pressure cooker, there's no catches etc to hold the lid on.

what i'm thinking is......water in the bottom, then the trivet stand to support the two half dishes with the full round dish on top of that, i think the hole in the lid may well have had a low pressure valve to control the steam / heat.

Thats how it packs-2 pans above the trivet, then the insert round pan sits in the top. All fit nicely sealed. As above, I think your maybe right on a valve missing-maybe even a whistle.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I think Rik's link have confirmed it as a bung it all cooker. I reckon a carved stick will replace the valve and a simple steel disc and a trivet should allow it to work stood on coals and hung over the fire.

Cheers people :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I don't care what it is, but am looking forward to eating some grub out of it!!
Full roast dinner on the next trip out Pete??

Leave only footprints take only memories

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE