What's this mallet for?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for the kind words! I'll pull it out of the linseed tank when I go up to the shed and see if there is any perceivable change in weight, just out of interest, like. I don't keep track of the oil I use, every so often I empty nearly empty bottles into it and occasionally when I see it cheap buy the odd quart. Technically it's not pure boiled linseed oil as there's teak and tung oil and god knows what else but I do like to soak stuff. Wish I could find a big stoneware jar with a sealed safe lid. Currently I empty the Gallon SRD stone bottle I use to store it into any suitable container ( the fish boiler Toddy gave me is great for doing the longer handles up to two foot long, stainless being easy to clean ) and then funnel it back in the next day. I know some of the armoury workshops, back when they still used wooden furniture, had bespoke metal tanks with intergal heating to keep the oil warm and help it penetrate.

I've used the commercially made one quite a lot and am continually impressed how it shows very little signs of use still, that's one tough wood! But it was definitely too light for some stuff and I was really whacking it which did nowt for my all ready marginal accuracy of cut!

This is just me avoiding the house work while it warms up outside before I go and garden so I'll stop rambling now.

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Reading this thread has spurred me into action, as I've wanted to make a couple of decent mallets for a good while now; I've just bought four old LV bowls on the bay for just over twenty quid delivered, so I'm now going to have to find somebody with a lathe which is man enough for these and the skills to match. I got four so that I'll have two as a possible barter or part barter for whoever can do it for me......Any ideas?

How difficult did you find the LV to work Tom? I don't suppose there'd be any chance of doing them by hand? Any input greatly appreciated, folks! :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I'd happily help you out Mac, but my workshop and tools are in storage pending a house move :(

As I recall, although it's a while since I did mine, the timber was quite surprising to work, small, resinous chips/shavings, not hard to work on the lathe or drill press, just a bit different to many British hardwoods.

Not sure it would lend itself very well to hand tools to be honest but might be wrong.

A friendly local turner is your best bet I reckon :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Another point to ponder: although bigger is heavier, there's value in keeping the mallet head size reasonable.
My 12oz isn't very much smaller than the 30 oz. Much of the difference being a lead core in the 30.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for that, the more info I get the better............I have the same problem as you, all my tools are in storage as I lost my rented workshop and am waiting to build another in the garden.

Yep, I think finding a local 'turner is almost certainly going to be the answer :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I was expecting the LV to chew up the tools in short order but it was nowhere as bad as I had thought it was going to be. I'd just sharpened them and they cut nice and clean, I took it steady and was for once careful about breathing gear as the dust/ chips were nasty.

You definately need a decent lathe, I tried a round section surform on the hole through the middle of the wood to rough it up for the glue and it was murder to get it to bite. Hand tools isn't really a runner unless you've absolutely no choice.

Bizarely after a day in the oil tank the woods obviously darkened so plenty of oil has been absorbed but when I put it on the scales it its weight was exactly the same. Any road, it's ready to use now.

Atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE