New tools for my lathe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I wanted to get some new tools for use on my pole lathe, as my current toolset is somewhat limited, being mostly short handled carving type tools. Specifically I wanted a heavy skew chisel, and a long bowl gouge. Recently I was in Salisbury, and I thought I would pop into Pennyfarthing Tools (a great second hand tool shop). Unfortunately the shop was no longer there. Not being a fan of getting up early at the weekend to trawl the boot sales, nor wanting to pay for new tools from Axminster, I decided to order some tool steel from Cromwell.

Here are the fruits of my labours. First the skew chisel.
Skew chisel by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Made from 6mm O1, a rather easy job. Cut to length, then the end cut obliquely, then heat treated and the bevels ground. Overall length 16 inches, half of which is the blade.

Next the bowl gouge.
Gouge 1 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Gouge2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Made from 10mm silver steel rod. I drilled and reamed the end to create the sweep, before cutting away half of the rod, to reveal the gouge section. After heat treatment I have attempted to grind a "thumbnail" profile, but this may need a bit of tweaking - I haven't had much of a play with it yet.
Overall length is 20 inches, half of which is the blade.

New tools by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Handles by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The handles I had turned some time ago, to use up some odd bits of wood, and so I can lay my hands on a suitable handle when I need it. The skew chisel has a beech handle, and the gouge has one from ash.
Finally a test piece - a small handle in sycamore, and I can report that the skew chisel works well. I have shown some of the lovely curled shavings.
Test piece by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: Macaroon and Stew

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
superb, guess i'll be knocking on your door for some tools when i eventually get round to making my own lathe

Reactions: Muddypaws

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I covet the skew. I am trying so hard to avoid blade-smithing of any sort.

Can you please explain why you would want a skew with two bevels?
By contrast, wood carving skews are usually left & right pairs.
Very common use in Pacific Northwest native style carving for form-line and edges.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for the kind words!
I covet the skew. I am trying so hard to avoid blade-smithing of any sort.

Can you please explain why you would want a skew with two bevels?
By contrast, wood carving skews are usually left & right pairs.
Very common use in Pacific Northwest native style carving for form-line and edges.
When wood turning, you have two bevels on your skew so that you can simply flip the tool over to change the traversing direction of the cut.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Good work there.
The skew is one of my favourite tools to use. Also the most infuriating when i slip!

I've used that method for making very small gouges, but the ability to forge a u shape is much quicker and more versatile. Good luck turning a bowl between centres with it though, there will be access issues

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Good work there.
The skew is one of my favourite tools to use. Also the most infuriating when i slip!

I've used that method for making very small gouges, but the ability to forge a u shape is much quicker and more versatile. Good luck turning a bowl between centres with it though, there will be access issues

I would love to have a go at forging a gouge or two, so I'll be on the lookout for some suitable scrap materials to make a swage block.

Regarding the access issues, I'm sort of learning woodturning as I go along. I dare say some long cranked hook tools (like the excellent ones you showed in your recent post) will be on my to do list.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Even a block of wood can be used as a swage block, but making one from any lumpmof steel is obviously better. Have you done much turning on a modern lathe? Spindle turning isnt much different, but bowls are a whole different kettle of ballgames.

A word of warning to anybody having a go at making their own turning tools. If you are using them on a power lathe (especially for bowls or large lumps), your heat treat must be spot on. High speed dig ins with improperly heat treated tools WILL result in lumps of sharp metal flying around!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I'm strictly a pole lathe only guy! It is very forgiving. And mostly I don't aim for super hard when I make my tools (although my heat treatment regime is not very scientific)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Even a block of wood can be used as a swage block, but making one from any lumpmof steel is obviously better. Have you done much turning on a modern lathe? Spindle turning isnt much different, but bowls are a whole different kettle of ballgames.

A word of warning to anybody having a go at making their own turning tools. If you are using them on a power lathe (especially for bowls or large lumps), your heat treat must be spot on. High speed dig ins with improperly heat treated tools WILL result in lumps of sharp metal flying around!

What hardness are you tempering to for them Dave?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Come on stew, you know it's not just hardness. Different steels will be tougher for a given hardness and theur toughness might also depend on shock versus slow bending. Then there is wear resistance, 2 steels of the same hardness wont be the same wear resistance

Most of my o1 and 52100 turning tools will be about 61rc and i use them hard myself. The batch of hooks that i showed the other day are a different steel and at 58rc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE