What's this homebrew equipment for?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've recently acquired a mixed box of assorted winemaking and homebrew equipment, and I would like to know what this is for.
P1020090.jpg

P1020092.jpg

It is made by Boots, and is about 6.5 inches in diameter. The markings on the top denote that one spigot is an inlet and the other is a vent.
I look forward to reading your suggestions.
BTW can anyone recommend a good book for learning about home brewing?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
It's a filter, you put a paper filter like for coffee inside and it filters out the lumpy bits.

As for a book, The first steps in wine making by C J J Berry is the wine makers bible.

Have fun :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for the speedy response! Now I know what it is I probably won't use it. In the spring I intend making nettle beer and elderflower wine, so I guess I am into both home brewing and winemaking.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up mate its simple, a filter you place a filter paper inside the plastic layers traping it there my dad had 1 but i have never used.

it i just bottle mine of after setteling out sediment first in a demijon. easy less mess no papers and styff to buy either......

the main book i use is very basic but all my recipies have derived from there....
its called THE WILD FOOD YEAR BOOK (country kitchen). its awsome has food drink and foraging in there.

i have made beer to but used a kit but then just enhance it with more hops and spray malt (powdered malt "sugar" for flavour) i use fugles hops as there stronger and just add what i think depending on your taste.

made some awsome elder berry wine this year (its all gone lol)

if you need any tips just private mesage me and i will give you email or number.....

all the best.........Chris

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That filter (I've got one) is intended to 'polish' the wine, clear out any finings left that make cloudy stuff in it.
It's really just a way of making a really good product (dependant on your brewing of course)
The filters are pads, about 3mm thick and it takes it's time to work properly.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed looks like an earlier Vinbrite model. As Mary says its not an "instead of" item as regards wine clearing but rather an "as well as" finings and racking to give a highly polished (clear and bright) finish.
They can take both pads and papers (and both together) for different uses. I suggest that you look into using it after your first few attempts. Its not a vital piece of equipment but a very useful one for a well finished wine

Red

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Seeing how you have the filter you may as well use it.
Many a batch of wine has been reluctant to clear and a filter has certainly helped.

Elderberry wine is the dogs danglies. However, test your elder bushes when they are in flower. Some smell of cat pee and are to be avoided, the others have a very floral sweet scent and are ideal for elderflower cordial, elder flower wine, elder flower champagne (always use old bubbly bottles and proper corks). The elder berry wine really does need to be aged in the bottle for best results.

Another tip is to harvest the whole head then freeze. The berrys can then be removed easily with a fork.

I might add, while I'm waffling, that dandilion makes an excellent wine also. Traditionally picked on St Georges day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE