Advice for uses of Elderberry tree wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi,
This afternoon I spent a bit of time cutting down part of an overgrowing Elderberry tree in my parents garden. It needed cutting back and some of the branches are about 4 inches in diameter and I was wondering if there are any good uses for the wood? I've salvaged a piece about 2 foot long with the intention of carving a spoon perhaps, but I am open to any suggestion for other better uses for this wood, if any.

Also got myself a nice piece of seasoned Hornbeam from The Big Labowski's camp at the Moot, no idea what to make with that piece yet, it's currently holding down the left side of my car at the moment, talk about a dense piece of wood!!! Sheesh! Not sure what I shall be making out of that yet, but the decade is still young. Judging by the hardness of it I'm thinking an anvil would be a good start.

Also got a lovely chunk or pine burl but that may well end up too resinous to do anything with, we'll see how this goes though.

Anyway any suggestions for whether elderberry wood is good for anything would be gratefully received. Ta muchly in advance.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've carved a few elderberry spoons and it's pretty alright for the job, soft enough for easy carving and practice and safe to eat from, but even after oiling has very little grain or asthetic appeal.

I've also made a fair ammount of elderberry smoking bowls for pipes I used to make, as it was available at the time and easy to work. I find the dug resin from pine is good for getting fires going, it takes a flame and stays lit pretty well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Elder breaks, but it makes a brilliant hearth for using with a spindle and bow :D
The wee rhyme is, "Flower and fruit, baith sae sweet, ne'er trust a stick beneath y'r feet"
Basically much though you might want the flowers or fruit, don't try climbing the tree to get them.

Split the branch in half to make the hearth boards. If it's a goodish size then short lengths make good tubes for handles of things like grass rope hooks :approve:
cheers,
M

A

andyBruce

Ive been led to believe that elder is mildly poisonous, although only when green!? That said, the smaller pieces are excellent for making whistles as the center pith is really soft! I made a few as Christmas presents last year and they worked really well. I used Hazel to bung the end and to direct the flow of air!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Due to the pith, elder is great for making whistles. I'm yet to find a good use for the pith itself, which when pushed out of the wood has a texture like polystyrene. Compact firelighter maybe? The wood is okay for stuff like spoons (only poisonous if you eat it, not very poisonous even then) but nothing needing strength.

Hornbeam is so hard it was traditionally used as the centre of mill wheels. The name means 'hard wood'. Whatever you make out of it will be hard work, but will be tough. It does carve quite well, in that it holds detail, but it isn't easy to work, and is a bit plain. Drop some hornbeam on a flagstone and you are more likely to dent the flagstones (slight exaggeration maybe :rolleyes:)

I gave Al some hornbeam, so your bit may have originated with me.

I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Funny time of year to be cutting down an elder, or are yours a lot earlier than mine? I'll be harvesting mine in a couple of weeks. :)

Biker

Thanks for the feedback folks. Ummmmed and ahhed about the Elder and finally just dumped it in Mum's garden waste wheelie bin. My car was overloaded as it was on Thursday driving back here to France so anything to lighten the ballast was a big +.

ged I cut it down on request since birds eat the berries then dump out the waste all over the washing on the lines of the 3 houses adjacent to the tree. I just trimmed off all the new growth before the berries had time to form.

Harvestman you were at the moot? Man, why didn't you introduce yourself? Bg Al did indeed donate that chunk of Hornbeam, he asked me to cut it up to 18" lengths with my chainsaw. Just as well I had that with me else I'd still be cutting the log using my folding saw. You ain't kidding that stuff being hard!

Thanks again folks. Just going to download my moot pix now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If it had been in my garden there would have been no berries left for the birds!
Elderflower for cordial, sham-pain (not allowed by copyright law to call it after the froggy fizz:)), fritters; berries for wine, rob and preserves.
None for birdies!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Makes great snare or net pegs, dries harder than a pit prop , and lighter than a fairies kiss.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've never kissed a fairy so I wouldn't know ;)

Still, not for me to judge :)

Fairies arnt fo kissin, they kiss you :D
To make pegs.....choose a length between knots abaht a foot long, 3 fingers wide. Split into 4, remove pith, taper to point, shape head if required, or bore a hole abaht a finger width from top. Leave finished pegs to season for a few weeks in wharm spot. Yer should be left with rock hard, nay on unbreakable pegs with a nice triangular profile or rounded if chosen. Very light when seasoned. Enjoy. :beer:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE