What's the deal with this Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hi, I found this in my local Army surplus. I didn't know it was a Polish Army Lavvu when i bought it as it just came clear plastic bag with this add in English in the packaging..
001_zpsemp3gvn0.jpg

Taking it out of the bag i was quite happy with the quality. Still not knowing it was a Lavvu until i found this label attached to a button.
A bit blurry but trust me, it's in polish.
nexus%20pics%20012_zpspp31r4yk.jpg

Anyway. the reason i'm asking what the deal is with it is this. Upon closer inspection i noticed one half.(poncho) is slightly longer (6")
than the other as you can see from the pics.

nexus%20pics%20011_zpsfbmlgdey.jpg

Notice the shorter poncho has 1 eyelet and the other has 3. Did they make these lavvus in various sizes back in the day or is this normal...ie a long and a shorter one. ?

Here's the pic of the bottom after i buttoned it together.

nexus%20pics%20014_zpsnat80dmx.jpg

Cheers...S

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ah, you have two different sizes. I learned recently that there are a few sizes. The one with three eyelets is slightly larger than the other. It can still be put up, but won't be symmetrical. You may be able to swap with someone else who also has a non-matching one. I'm told that when ordering them from Military mart it is best to ring them and ask for the 3 eyelet version as it gives a slightly bigger space inside.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ah, you have two different sizes. I learned recently that there are a few sizes. The one with three eyelets is slightly larger than the other. It can still be put up, but won't be symmetrical. You may be able to swap with someone else who also has a non-matching one. I'm told that when ordering them from Military mart it is best to ring them and ask for the 3 eyelet version as it gives a slightly bigger space inside.

That's what i thought. Whoever had the job of bagging them never payed to much attention as to what went with what. I'll take it back. I dont think he had anymore though.

Bummer, as i was very happy with it. :(

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If you set it up in this way, it won't make any difference, plus you get a longer sleep area. I love my Polish Laavu, a very cozy winter shelter.

I've made one change since I made the vid, and that is to square off both ends, you can then close up completely. It'll make sense when you see the vid. :)

[video=youtube;qV9qRDSSOZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9qRDSSOZk[/video]

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Oh they are cosy, very tough. Heavy..when dry. Even heavier wet.

I took mine for an overnighter which required a rather short walk (2miles). Warm day, dry night. Cold but dry. I slept in it with the dog (honest he's just a friend). The next morning the whole thing was soaked, outside and in. But not all the way through, it was condensation on the inside and outside.

I really enjoyed using it, I had treated it with fabsil so had no concerns regarding water getting in. Shame it has zero breathability. Next time I'll open the "womdows".

Seriously tho, a tonne wet!

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I took mine out for the first time last weekend and loved it. It was me that went with harvestman in his recent trip report.
I'd read a lot of concerns over space to sleep so made sure I spoke to militarymart ensuring they sent me a pair that both had 3 eyelets.
At 5ft 10 I had no issues sleeping comfortably with the supplied centre pole and had lots of room for kit. I could roll the Czech bedroll right out in it too so I think the 3 eyelet set up is the way to go if you want to be able to close it off.
I've never seen one with just the one eyelet so that must be the size small. There is one with 2 eyelets which is the medium then 3 eyelets is the large. I've seen people pair up a 2 eyelet with a 3 but selling a small and a large together seems stupid!

Waterproof wise I've not treated mine yet and am unsure whether I want to. Some say they will be waterproof enough as they are but I'm concerned fabsil or similar is stopping breathability and encouraging much more condensation on the inside?
If I did treat it I'd be tempted by a nikwax wash in product which should help rain bead but not completely sacrifice the breathability of the fabric.
People complain of the weight and although it's no tarp for weight you have to remember you are getting much more warmth from this shelter if closed in. I had a 4 season tent for a while which was 4.2kg so this is light in comparison!
Definitely a winter set up for me and works great opening up the front just a pace from a fire with a thermal wall behind for a really cold camp. The canvas is very resistant to hot sparks. Mine got covered in ash from some soft woods we were using that spat a lot but absolutely no damage which is what I love about this shelter! You won't get that with a modern lightweight material tent.
Of course you don't need a fire to keep warm in a 4 season tent but for pure fun of being able to camp so close to a fire for warmth makes it a great bit of kit I think. Thoroughly enjoyed using it and it will be my number 1 choice for a winter Bushcraft camp.
Will use a lightweight tunnel tent for mountains and long hikes where I don't bother with a fire and usually just use a gas stove

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I ordered a pair of these Polish pelerynas last August and at the time didn't know that they came in three different sizes (I wonder whether most of the dealers do, either). Well, when they arrived, my two matched anyway (no surprises for me as I assumed one size of poncho fitted all Polish squaddies), and Mrs Le B. and I spent a comfortable weekend in it in September (though nearly all the kit had to stay outside). They turned out to be the small, one eyelet, size, or 'Rozmiar 160-170' as it says on the factory label. Now Mrs Le B. is a rozmiar 170-180 (she's 5ft 8in), and my rozmiar is 180-190 (I'm just over 6ft). As I say, we were snug as bugs in a rug, even though all three of us were a different size, which goes to show it's true what they say: Rozmiar isn't everything. Anyway, what's a few inches between consenting adults?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'm going to phone military mart on monday and ask if they could send me one with a three eyelet and one eyelet poncho. i can then make two and give one to my son. seems the best way around the problem.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have noticed these getting more and more expensive. IIRC they were around £15 'new' a good few years ago. However I never knew they came in a variety of sizes, I must have the smallest one as it only has one set of eyelets on the bottom, if I had known I might have requested a larger one.

I guess everyone's been buying them and they are getting a bit scares...

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Is this not it, in the description in the bottom link?

Army Surplus Condition Choices

Please read the following condition descriptions before choosing from drop list at top of listing.

New: Unused. Have been in storage and may have shelf dust mark. May or may not have a label/tag.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland

Please read the following condition descriptions before choosing from drop list at top of listing.

New: Unused. Have been in storage and may have shelf dust mark. May or may not have a label/tag.
No, If you go to the drop down list you will see that the NOS are out of stock. They only have used left.

Same with the other link you posted though Used could be defined as small stitch repairs, having marks from storage, buttons replaced, dust marks or smelly....Smelly and dust marks i'm fine with.

i'm not in any hurry to grab one. The one i handed back was a impulse buy, but having seen the quality and for the price it's a no brainer to have one handy.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I have noticed these getting more and more expensive. IIRC they were around £15 'new' a good few years ago. However I never knew they came in a variety of sizes, I must have the smallest one as it only has one set of eyelets on the bottom, if I had known I might have requested a larger one.

I guess everyone's been buying them and they are getting a bit scares...
Looks like it. They come in 1-2-and 3 eyelet mode. The difference between 1-3 doesn't look much until you peg them out. I could feel the weight difference between the 1 and 3 eyelet poncho. Pegged out i'm sure you would get decent enough extra room to spread out with the biggest one.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland

My apologies, The bottom link you provided do have New and Supergrade, but they are almost double the price i payed for the one i just handed back. and that was NOS with labels vacuum packed and un-smelly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE