What's the deal with this Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My apologies, The bottom link you provided do have New and Supergrade, but they are almost double the price i payed for the one i just handed back. and that was NOS with labels vacuum packed and un-smelly.

No worries. I think though, that like the Polish sleep mat, the Norwegian patrol pack and a few other things that were readily available a couple of years ago, they have become like rocking horse poo, and hence the rocketing prices. Why does it have to be NOS, these ponchos are pretty much bomb proof, and are easily repaired and reproofed. Good luck with your search. :)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
No worries. I think though, that like the Polish sleep mat, the Norwegian patrol pack and a few other things that were readily available a couple of years ago, they have become like rocking horse poo, and hence the rocketing prices. Why does it have to be NOS, these ponchos are pretty much bomb proof, and are easily repaired and reproofed. Good luck with your search. :)

You are correct. All the good old gear is becoming rarer to get by the day.
To answer your question on Why NOS.? That way i can be assured i get one without defects or repairs and a matching set of poncho's unlike the last one i bought...once bitten. i'm a bit ocd that way.

If i leave it a few weeks i'll probably go off the idea anyway and fixate on something else that someone posts here. Wool tousers.

I cant look at wool jumpers and hats but i'm scratching like a man demented but i must have the wooly trousers from Finland in the group buy. :lmao:

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
If you set it up in this way, it won't make any difference, plus you get a longer sleep area. I love my Polish Laavu, a very cozy winter shelter.

I've made one change since I made the vid, and that is to square off both ends, you can then close up completely. It'll make sense when you see the vid. :)

[video=youtube;qV9qRDSSOZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9qRDSSOZk[/video]

I love that Colin's video posts always have birdsong in the background... Blackbirds, collared doves etc. Very nice.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
No, really? My middle name is gullible, but you just might not be kidding? Probably you are? But now I listen again sounds like the same dove! No, you are kidding. Really?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I'm the original Lith! :cool: 👧🏼🍪 (that's a rock bun - see what id do there?)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hey Lizz, good to see you about! Haven't spoken to you since those prolonged two coffees :)

I just ordered one of these lavvus from military Mart, and notice on their website that they also see the halves, so if it hadn't already been returned the OP could have bought a matching half and had a poncho left over. Which I would have suggested if I had realised it when the original post was made.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hey Lizz, good to see you about! Haven't spoken to you since those prolonged two coffees :)

I just ordered one of these lavvus from military Mart, and notice on their website that they also see the halves, so if it hadn't already been returned the OP could have bought a matching half and had a poncho left over. Which I would have suggested if I had realised it when the original post was made.

Christmas is but 19 sleeps away. ;)

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Hi, there are at least 2 sizes as you already figured out. The M and L size. About an S size I never heard anything..
M size is for people between 170 to 180 cm tall.
L size is for people between 180 to 190 cm tall.
Due keep in mind that this is the poncho size.

A friend of mine in Poland had access to thousands of them, and now they are almost all gone.
They are getting more rare by the day.

I have the L size, and made a couple of mods to them to make the space even more usable.
Also treated with a couple of layers of silicone spray, water is no issue anymore now.
You can check those mods on my blog: http://dabberty.com/?p=1823

Good luck with yours.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hi, there are at least 2 sizes as you already figured out. The M and L size. About an S size I never heard anything..
M size is for people between 170 to 180 cm tall.
L size is for people between 180 to 190 cm tall.
Due keep in mind that this is the poncho size.

A friend of mine in Poland had access to thousands of them, and now they are almost all gone.
They are getting more rare by the day.

I have the L size, and made a couple of mods to them to make the space even more usable.
Also treated with a couple of layers of silicone spray, water is no issue anymore now.
You can check those mods on my blog: http://dabberty.com/?p=1823

Good luck with yours.
I have seen 1, 2 and 3 eyelet ones. I'm only guessing they came in three different sizes. Maybe the 2 eyelet one was a trimmed down 3 eyelet one or a extended 2 eyelet one....try saying that when you're drunk..Ha.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Hey Harvestman - tea in the new year? I miss Cwmbran!

Colin - have you given any thought to making it a tipi with several poles rather than a central one? Has anyone tried that, I'm just wondering about it - I have a single pole one and I'm just playing with the idea.... Thoughts folks?

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I've three washing line expanding poles from Wilco that I use on my lavvu - gives you the centre area back and makes a huge difference! I just tied the three poles together at the top, stand them up and throw the lavvu over them - well worth doing!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hey Harvestman - tea in the new year? I miss Cwmbran!

Colin - have you given any thought to making it a tipi with several poles rather than a central one? Has anyone tried that, I'm just wondering about it - I have a single pole one and I'm just playing with the idea.... Thoughts folks?

I've three washing line expanding poles from Wilco that I use on my lavvu - gives you the centre area back and makes a huge difference! I just tied the three poles together at the top, stand them up and throw the lavvu over them - well worth doing!

This is how I set mine last weekend, worked a treat.

sffk xmas 2015 028.jpg

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
you can do it with just two extending washing poles, but I guess having a third would add quite a lot more stability.

Edited

I have also thought of tying a ridgeline between trees and suspending it from that - I've not tried that though.

Edited after seeing Crosslandkellys post [It takes me a while to write stuff...]

I've not tried the poles outside the tent either.

Last edited:

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
With three poles (which go on the inside) you can adjust them to the perfect length so that when you peg it out it is taut and tight. I place two legs either side of the entrance with the remaining third pole at the rear. This set up gives you maximum floor space without worrying about rolling over and knocking the centre pole (which I have done in the past :) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE