What's the deal with this Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I knew if I asked there would be great replies! Colin - it looks like you've gone for the lower apex to get greater diameter option - is that right? Have you gotta mossy net in there too?

I've heard of washing line extender poles (oh washing is so dull!) Are they the things that you sort of clip onto a washing line so you can raise it higher up and thus get the laundry out of the way and off the ground? We could do with one of those anyway... Sweet. Thanks chaps.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I was back in the shop i bought my lavvu from, it's now been split into two single ponchos for sale at 15 per poncho. That's more than i payed for the full thing. Dont know why they never thought of that in the first place.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I've heard of washing line extender poles (oh washing is so dull!) Are they the things that you sort of clip onto a washing line so you can raise it higher up and thus get the laundry out of the way and off the ground? We could do with one of those anyway... Sweet. Thanks chaps.

Yes, that's the ones. I bought three from Wilko's, think they were £4 each.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I knew if I asked there would be great replies! Colin - it looks like you've gone for the lower apex to get greater diameter option - is that right? Have you gotta mossy net in there too?

If you check out my video Lizz, you'll see how to get over eight feet of bedroll space. The mozzie net is just a cheap Tesco one. I gather the net up on the inside where the pole would go, then tie a loop around the lot to pull up to the poles. You loose six to eight inches in height, but there is still plenty to sit up in.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I like the clever combination of elongated pitch plus net and outside 'support' nice one. I've just checked my lavvu and it's the two hole version so suitable for up to six two, which is great as I'm five eight! I've always slept fine in it but have sort of curled round the centre pole (no comments about pole sleeping please!) so have wondered about other approaches.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I like the clever combination of elongated pitch plus net and outside 'support' nice one. I've just checked my lavvu and it's the two hole version so suitable for up to six two, which is great as I'm five eight! I've always slept fine in it but have sort of curled round the centre pole (no comments about pole sleeping please!) so have wondered about other approaches.

The two hole one is suitable up 180cm/5'11" which is what I am, can still sleep flat out but that pole is an issue so its time for a Wilkos trip I think. Might try getting the 3 hole (190cm) version just for the extra space and get it in green instead of the black one I have.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
I've pitched my lavvu using the wilko extending washing poles. Same layout as you Philster. Have to say that it does give you huge amount more room. Plus always worried if I used the central pole I would role over 1 night, knock the pole and the tent wouldn't be so tent like anymore

I only have 1 gripe and 1 query (well the query came from something I read elsewhere but not answered).

gripe: wilko poles are HEAVY also the foot/base is quite thin. I bought some walking stick rubber feet things to make the base wider and hopefully less sinkable.

query: wilko poles on the inside. As the pole is pressed against the inside tent fabric wall, would that help water to seep through?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
The two hole one is suitable up 180cm/5'11" which is what I am, can still sleep flat out but that pole is an issue so its time for a Wilkos trip I think. Might try getting the 3 hole (190cm) version just for the extra space and get it in green instead of the black one I have.

Good oh, I misremembered the sizings given below.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Good question - it's canvas, it's wet, but if you adopted similar strategies to a tepee, teepee, tipi it should work out ok...

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Another option would be to set your lavvu under an external bipod made with Wilko's clothes props. I used them like this to support a tarp ridgeline over a tent and they worked ok. Easy to setup, too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WilkoAframe.jpg
    WilkoAframe.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I tried waterproofing mine with some old Fabsil that i had. I ran out of proofer after one poncho, so I took it out in wind and rain today and tried a no pole set-up uing a cord suspendion. It worked an absolute treat and I would be more than happy to use this arrangement in future. It gave me excellent shelter and the proofing meant it didn't get waterlogged and heavy.

23850831845_ae8931f669_b.jpg
[/url]Room for one by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Poncho tent by Michael Kilner, on Flickr

23742440892_c052e4de31_b.jpg
[/url]The outlook by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
I am seeing and believing all this..I do like the idea of suspending under a branch so ergo no poles. I does make be think though that your choice of camping sites can depend on finding a suitable branch plus you have to be really sure the branch is strong enough...including the others around/over your tent.

As for using the 2 pole way on the outside again I do like this but still a bit concerned about windy/stormy conditions. Having this config you are relying on your tent pegs to help keep the poles in situ.

Apologies..am not wanting to sound like a defeatist I guess I always like to have a solution that will work for all conditions...maybe asking too much? :confused:

What we need is some alien tent pole technology. Something the size of a bic pen that stretches and is rigid and strong as steel :D

Anyone up for a walkabout to and camp to Area 51?

Last edited:

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
So now am thinking more about the 2 pole strategy.

Looking at bilmos blue tent pics. Would running 3 or 4 guy lines from the apex of the 2 joined poles help?

That would/could mean you have the pegs for the tent and 2 or 3 guy lines to help keep the poles in place.

If so...what would be a good type and source of guy line?

Or am I over engineering it?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Shh don't tell, I've used paracord and picture hanging cord as guy lines! Seemed to work out ok, so far anyway!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I tried waterproofing mine with some old Fabsil that i had. I ran out of proofer after one poncho, so I took it out in wind and rain today and tried a no pole set-up uing a cord suspendion. It worked an absolute treat and I would be more than happy to use this arrangement in future. It gave me excellent shelter and the proofing meant it didn't get waterlogged and heavy.

23850831845_ae8931f669_b.jpg
[/url]Room for one by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Poncho tent by Michael Kilner, on Flickr

23742440892_c052e4de31_b.jpg
[/url]The outlook by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice job Mike, I treated mine with 2.5ltrs of Thompsons water seal, applied with a garden sprayer. Worked very well in that miserable weather last weekend.
corvids 001.jpg

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I couldn't wait. My son dropped off my pressies. judging the size and weight of one i just had to have a wee peekaboo...Polish Lavvu 3 eyelet, perfect....now to dye Brownish. :dancer:

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Great! I think there should be a bring and share a lavvu show at the moot so we can compare notes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE