what's the best Tablet for me ?................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I got my eldest son a Nexus 7 for Crimbo this year after looking at & trying out pretty much everything on the market.

The main factors which swung the decision was access to the Google Play store (which means access to many, many apps loads of which are free). The Kindle Fire doesn't allow you to use the Play Store (although there are ways of getting around this, they're all rather convoluted).

The Nexus also has a quad core processor which makes it ridiculously fast compared to the majority of other tablets. It also has bluetooth & GPS which means you can use wireless headsets, bluetooth stuff over from your mobile phone or use it for satnav.

My boy took some of his crimbo money and added a keyboard case for it (you need to order an adapter at the same time called an OTG cable). For just under a tenner, he can now use his tablet as a mini laptop, type up his homework & send it to our wireless printer or store stuff on the cloud for printing later. *

The only downside of the nexus is that it lacks the ability to expand the storage via micro SD cards so go for the minimum 16gb version which is enough to store a fair bit of music as well as a few converted movies. As a media player, movies play seamlessly & the sound quality is solid.

* No links to company, just satisfied customer etc, etc

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
im currently on the lookout for a tablet myself really fancy the nexus 7 but out of my price range my limit is around 100 so much harder finding a decent cheapish tablet that isnt a chinese copy

Android Flytouch Superpad 8, 10.2" screen, 1Gb ram, 32Gb memory, android 4+++, 2 full size USB2 ports plus HDMI, silly cheap at about £100. Wifi, netflix, BBC iplayer, bla bala bla, even comes with a nifty little plug in keyboard.

That said I have to get a Surface Pro when launched.....I'm just a sad git.

Sent from my superpad 8, no tapatalk lol

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Android Flytouch Superpad 8, 10.2" screen, 1Gb ram, 32Gb memory, android 4+++, 2 full size USB2 ports plus HDMI, silly cheap at about £100. Wifi, netflix, BBC iplayer, bla bala bla, even comes with a nifty little plug in keyboard.

That said I have to get a Surface Pro when launched.....I'm just a sad git.

Sent from my superpad 8, no tapatalk lol

Jeez, that is cheap !

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

A quick google for reviews and the results aren't favourable in the main.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Mines a Flytouch Superpad 8, zero, nada, no faults and its now my new camping gadget, I ain't taking an £800 or £900 Surface pro camping lol. Plug in external GPS antenna comes to as well.

Like many things in life people rarely go online and just say "Hey, this is great" normally "Hey, this is crap". I speak as I find, if it stops working I'll let you know.

[video=youtube;Cwtrutq6MWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwtrutq6MWM[/video]

[video=youtube;W7u9H1c4Vi0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7u9H1c4Vi0[/video]

£100 is dirt cheap and if you drop it you ain't going to burst into tears.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Having had iPads and Android tablets I can say that at the moment the best value for money tablet is the Nexus 7. I have both a N7 and a Galaxy Note 10.1 in use every day. I love the note but it costs more and Samsung are slow with updates. Get a Nexus 7. Do not get a dirt cheap android tablet as the hardware will be rubbish and performance worse. Though if you have the money and have never used a tablet the iPad may be better. Go to a shop and try them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You often find these lower priced tablets don't have access to the play store, limiting what apps are available, not sure if it's possible to side load apk files instead.

touched by nature

Runs android 4 point something full access to the play store. This is what I've put on it

Google sky map, Google earth, BBC Iplayer, you tube, photobucket
Kindle, Netflix, tvcatchup, chrome, Argos, Tesco, Angry birds, Skydrive, gmail, Guardian, Ham radio toolkit, compass, scanner radio, VLC, Skype, Google maps with street view, and Tom and Jerry.

Not sure about the battery life, to be honest I've not used it much but leaving wireless on uses a fare bit of juice. I've only got it to take camping so I can watch something when its peeing down,,,,and I like gadgets;)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have an iPad and love it, have around 80-90 apps installed for work, finance, personal and educational ones for my son.

It is my opinion that the iPad is still the best tablet but that it is also about the most expensive and between Amazon and Google, there are tablets that are very nearly as good but for far less money. It's the same old discussion for the most part - with knives, a cheap knife cuts, why would you invest heavily in a custom one, with tarps, a cheap one is waterproof, why would you invest in a fancy ultralight one.

Generally if you have a list of requirements to be met in terms of applications, screen size, battery life and connectivity, make a list and pick one that you can afford and be confident. There is no need to bash Google if you like Apple or bash Apple if you like Google. Likewise, trying to glean a feel for the tablet market from a thread on a bushcraft site is not sensible - I am pretty confident that Apple are not targeting people who own log burning stoves heavily with their marketing.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Runs android 4 point something full access to the play store. This is what I've put on it

Google sky map, Google earth, BBC Iplayer, you tube, photobucket
Kindle, Netflix, tvcatchup, chrome, Argos, Tesco, Angry birds, Skydrive, gmail, Guardian, Ham radio toolkit, compass, scanner radio, VLC, Skype, Google maps with street view, and Tom and Jerry.

Not sure about the battery life, to be honest I've not used it much but leaving wireless on uses a fare bit of juice. I've only got it to take camping so I can watch something when its peeing down,,,,and I like gadgets;)

Sounds like a belter for the money then. :thumbup:

touched by nature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE