What's 'SM-100'?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Whatever it is, it is certainly expensive!

koboldwatch.com/en/knives/big-dipper

or the other one to which the forum might take exception...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
The knife's a bargain too!! :lmao:

That material sounds pretty amazing, though no idea what its made of as I'm pretty interested in that.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It looks like all the money went into the material because for your money the knives in the link look like thrown together rubbish. The bel is wonky and all over the place, the pins in the handle look like they poke out from the poorly shaped slabs and the whole things just looks a bit tat.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
It looks like all the money went into the material because for your money the knives in the link look like thrown together rubbish. The bel is wonky and all over the place, the pins in the handle look like they poke out from the poorly shaped slabs and the whole things just looks a bit tat.

I concurr. Would like to see one made by Hillbill or Dave Budd bet that would be a beaut

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I concurr. Would like to see one made by Hillbill or Dave Budd bet that would be a beaut

Well, these people are used to making nice looking knives for sure, my guess is the beauty of the knife is in the nature of the steel alone... lets face it, a nice looking knife is a nice looking knife if its been made from an old file or from the most precious metal. I don't see the point of spending so much on a diving knife with no lanyard to be honest... lots of chance of it being dropped underwater and you can't even fish it out with a magnet :p

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Who ground the bevels, Stevie Wonder?
big-dipper-front.png

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seem to remember some fuss over this a few years ago.

Spyderco looked at it, and declined to make any mules from it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I wonder why it has the Khukri-esque half moon cut out?

If the objective on a Khuk is to stop blood running onto the handle - I really can't see the necessity on a knife that is going to be used under water!

Maybe I'm over analysing.

Ogri the trog

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Reading about it... its an absolute nightmare to sharpen. Given the high wear resistance, i aint surprised.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Reading about it... its an absolute nightmare to sharpen. Given the high wear resistance, i aint surprised.

I can't think it would take long with a diamond file, the right stone, or tungsten carbide knife steel.

Talking of tungsten, has anyone ever seen a knife made from pure tungsten not carbide, heavy I know but harder than titanium by a fair way, and still non brittle. Takes alot of heat to work so maybe thats why you don't see em, or maybe its been tried and found wanting.

Saw back on this one would seel the deal, and whats wrong with the grind? Please explain.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Wear resistance can make anything hard to sharpen, no matter what you use. :)

Tungsten is 7.5 on the Mohs scale, which is roughly 70 on the Rockwell C scale. An average knife blade is 5.5 on the Mohs scale. WAY too hard for a knife, and would be brittle. Titanium is soft really. Most of it falling in the RC range of 30 to 50

The grind is all over the place, its uneven, so the edge wont be in a straight line. :)

I can't think it would take long with a diamond file, the right stone, or tungsten carbide knife steel.

Talking of tungsten, has anyone ever seen a knife made from pure tungsten not carbide, heavy I know but harder than titanium by a fair way, and still non brittle. Takes alot of heat to work so maybe thats why you don't see em, or maybe its been tried and found wanting.

Saw back on this one would seel the deal, and whats wrong with the grind? Please explain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE