Whats Next??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
That Hankala is a thing of real beauty! I bet it is an absolute delight to use, too!
It cetainly is beautiful, The Malanika Puukko in 4v with spalted maple handle, brass bolsters, And a sheath that I have on order is stunning and as far as use goes check out the DBK girls video.
And after you do, you think "I want one of them!".. the web site is secure and Danijel is, like Ben Orford customer focused and a pleasure to deal with.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
but as I posted earlier the knives I buy Must visually appeal to me,
Coach, you'll likely find that as you use knives more, imperceptibly, your visual tastes may alter. Also, you will possibly find your criteria change to more haptic ones; which may in turn affect your visual appreciation.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Coach, you'll likely find that as you use knives more, imperceptibly, your visual tastes may alter. Also, you will possibly find your criteria change to more haptic ones; which may in turn affect your visual appreciation.
Ha!!! Interesting! Its my 70th birthday in less than a fortnight and I've been playing with knives since I was 5.. Hopefully then, as you say, over the Next 60 yrs my tastes may broaden and I'll learn with a little more use to appreciate a more eclectic and tactile range of 'sharps'. Thanks for that.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Grohman- Russell Knives in Pictou Nova Scotia, Canada are more dedicated hunting/ fishing knives,
They have lovely ergonomics and options in flat/ Sabre grind grip materials and carbon/ stainless. I love mine. Being commonwealth you should have an easier exchange too.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Grohman- Russell Knives in Pictou Nova Scotia, Canada are more dedicated hunting/ fishing knives,
They have lovely ergonomics and options in flat/ Sabre grind grip materials and carbon/ stainless. I love mine. Being commonwealth you should have an easier exchange too.
Thanks for the contribution but the only knife I found showing on their website is a canadian belt knife which I think is plain butt ugly. Im not looking for knives just for knives sake, Im trying to collect iconic sought after knives made that by the people that designed or made and/or used them like the woodlore, bayleyknife, SWC etc and Im running out of ideas. I was hoping someone would come up with a knife/maker I had overlooked but I think Im communicating so poorly what Im looking for that folks are struggling to help. Plus it could be a smaller field than I had imagined. Thanks anyway.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Skookum bushtool?
Garcia wont answer emails and even if you managed to order one 10 yr waiting list, which means second hand is the only viable option and s/h they are rarer than hens teeth.
I do have an 'order' in with a well known custom knife dealer but I'm not optimistic, which is why I purchased a Rob Evans Bushtool as the nearest viable option.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Im not looking for knives just for knives sake, Im trying to collect iconic sought after knives made that by the people that designed or made and/or used them like the woodlore, bayleyknife, SWC etc and Im running out of ideas.

Well if you are after what you have described here, then you should expect them to be not to easy to get.

Are you OK with slipjoints? There are quite a few sought after makers making nice slipjoints.

Also you can check CPK Knives. It fits to your definition and it is easier (sometimes) to buy than a bushtool.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Well if you are after what you have described here, then you should expect them to be not to easy to get.

Are you OK with slipjoints? There are quite a few sought after makers making nice slipjoints.

Also you can check CPK Knives. It fits to your definition and it is easier (sometimes) to buy than a bushtool.
T.B.H. I haven't much use for pocket knives.
The CPK knives look well made but I wouldnt describe any of them as Iconic? But thanks for the suggestions.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
T.B.H. I haven't much use for pocket knives.
The CPK knives look well made but I wouldnt describe any of them as Iconic? But thanks for the suggestions.
CPK knives are iconic in their own sense. The demand is growing steadily and the supply remains the same. So, the knives becomes more and more sought after and often second hand market prices can catch up to 1.5-4 times of the retail price depending on the model.

I would argue that CPK is more iconic than Orford and Malanika knives. However, I would agree that they are not iconic as the woodlore, bushtool, canadian belt knife, kephart, loveless, scagel, mora companion, opinel, victorinox or old hickory knives.

The reason I suggested CPK is that you asked for a maker designing and using his own knives and I can not think anyone better than CPK fitting to that description.

If money and wait times are not issue there are some great makers in the US and Australia. I am not sure how to order knives from them they are often difficult to hold let alone managing to get into their list. But some of the makers that might worth pursuing would be Jerry Fisk, Phil Wilson (seamount knife works), BBB (a new maker following the footsteps of Phil Wilson, Kase Knives (another new maker knowing for leading heat treat works in knife industry), Hanson Knives, Shawn McIntyre, Sharman (UK maker) and many master knife smith that you can find ABS website.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

You think a TRC is iconic, but a CPK isn’t? It’s logic like that that has folk puzzled to offer advice. If you read a bit about Nathan and how he makes his knives I think you might change your mind. He commissions his own batches of CPM 3V and customises his heat treatment for each batch to get absolute optimal performance. Similarly, he buys his handle laminates from a US manufacturer in the thickness needed, not just getting generic materiaL in standard thickness. Lot of attention to design, machining tolerances and edge geometry.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk

You think a TRC is iconic, but a CPK isn’t? It’s logic like that that has folk puzzled to offer advice. If you read a bit about Nathan and how he makes his knives I think you might change your mind. He commissions his own batches of CPM 3V and customises his heat treatment for each batch to get absolute optimal performance. Similarly, he buys his handle laminates from a US manufacturer in the thickness needed, not just getting generic materiaL in standard thickness. Lot of attention to design, machining tolerances and edge geometry.
Sorry I asked and please excuse my ignorance, TRC Ive heard of especially the Apocalypse, CPK I havent my bad.
Forget the advice folks I withdraw the question. Wouldnt want people getting puzzled by the way I think now would we ??

Last edited:

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
And just to save your 'puzzlement' Ive just ordered a custom Bison bushcraft knife in RWL 34, and Im seriously looking at the Lionsteel T5.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Love your suggestion.!! But at my age and mobility pretty sure Dave Budd wouldnt want me in his workshop.
And not wanting to sound cocky or arrogant but after 60 + years of knife 'experience' Im quite confidant with my understanding of what a knife is. Thanks for your comment.
You’re welcome, although unfortunately your reply did sound rather arrogant I think. I didn’t say it would help you understand what a knife is though, so perhaps you misconstrued my meaning. I’m sure that most of those replying to your post have many years experience of using, buying, handling and collecting fine knives.
I have at least 50 years of blade collecting so I don’t think you’re quite the rare species you seem to think you are.
I doubt you’ll take advice from any of the nice people here but I could be wrong……

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am in the same as many on BCUK, in having far to many nice shiny sharp toys. Everyone's taste is different.....and my collection really needs reducing :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Mine has stayed static for a while. House move paused the making for a while but should be back to it soon.
I have been thinking about you Stew, noticed your website is no longer available too. Are you still doing some custom work? I have a blade that needs the handle finishing and a kydex sheath.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have been thinking about you Stew, noticed your website is no longer available too. Are you still doing some custom work? I have a blade that needs the handle finishing and a kydex sheath.
The website hosting lapsed. I wasn’t sure what to do in terms of how to still pay and park it without wasting money - no making so seemed silly to pay a lot - then it cancelled out and I lost it. Not sure if that’s it gone forever now!!

I’m starting to do small bits again around house renovation so can do the handle finishing but have never done any kydex work. Send some details over if you want me to have a look.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That Hankala is a thing of real beauty! I bet it is an absolute delight to use, too!
Really is :) I kind of use it for everything.

Here's one to add to your treasure pile, Coach. Just saw it in Classifieds here

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Really is :) I kind of use it for everything.

Here's one to add to your treasure pile, Coach. Just saw it in Classifieds here

That is definitely one to collect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE