What's new in the barefoot shoe world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was warned off the trackers if using them everyday on the street and road as the soles aren't hard wearing and designed for off road use. Would have been an expensive mistake!

I also read the same whilst researching them. I believe they were the tracker SG as opposed to the FG. Soft/Firm - Ground,

rhaco

Apr 4, 2012
United Kingdom
I have exclusively worn barefoot shoes for 4/5 years now, unfortunately options are still pretty limited brand wise.

I used to live in vivobarefoot shoes and boots but they've become too pricey (even more so), they always have been really. I've had quite a few quality issues with some of their models. The longest lasting pair I had were the leather gobi boots.

I made the switch to xero shoes a couple of years ago and haven't looked back although they do look a bit goofy. I am a big fan of the prio trainers and the daylite hiker boots. They have just released a new waterproof hiking boot that I haven't tried yet but look promising.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you have some cash greenshoes in ashburton Devon mention barefoot soles. They are handmade to your foot pattern so pricey but they can be resoled or new uppers so you can keep them going for years. I had a pair for years and had them mended twice over a 8yr period. I can't afford them anymore sadly but if I had the money I'd be buying them like a shot! They were realy the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

rhaco

Apr 4, 2012
United Kingdom
If you have some cash greenshoes in ashburton Devon mention barefoot soles. They are handmade to your foot pattern so pricey but they can be resoled or new uppers so you can keep them going for years. I had a pair for years and had them mended twice over a 8yr period. I can't afford them anymore sadly but if I had the money I'd be buying them like a shot! They were realy the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

These look really interesting, certainly pricey but they have some great reviews online. I'm particularly impressed by some before and after pics of repairs of old beaten up boots that they've posted online, great from a sustainability viewpoint.

I've requested some leather samples from them and may give their desert boots a go with a barefoot tyre tread!

Reactions: Woody girl

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Look on amazon and ebay, sometimes Vivobarefoots come up cheap there. I always check for sales, my last pair, Scott desert boots only cost me 55 quid in the end! Awesome boots, my fave out ot the 6 pairs of Vivos I have.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have picked up a bunch of zero drop shoes over past years. Started out for hiking and trail trotting. But then started wearing them just around. Altras, Pearl Izumi Inov-8 that sort ... usually around half price on last year's patterns

I am wondering if it is the lightness or zero-dropness of barefoot shoes that is the appealing part. I appreciate the mid foot support you get with zero drops.

For barefoot equivalence I just wear old Converse :)

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It's not just lightness or zero drop that appeals. Wide toe boxes that allow room for the toes to actually work is a major plus!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It's not just lightness or zero drop that appeals. Wide toe boxes that allow room for the toes to actually work is a major plus!

Despite the funky look it gives them it really does make a difference. Especially on dodgy slippy ground.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have picked up a bunch of zero drop shoes over past years. Started out for hiking and trail trotting. But then started wearing them just around. Altras, Pearl Izumi Inov-8 that sort ... usually around half price on last year's patterns

I am wondering if it is the lightness or zero-dropness of barefoot shoes that is the appealing part. I appreciate the mid foot support you get with zero drops.

For barefoot equivalence I just wear old Converse :)

The appeal is for your foot to work as it should, allowing natural strength rather than restricting them.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Been wearing self made huaraches for 3 summers now, they are slightly rough on one's feet in the beginning. I guess it is very close to walking barefoot. Not for forest though. Have had Merrell Vaporgloves for 2 summers and I really like them, not for trail. Thin soles seem to train one's feet better than conventional shoes, I can feel the difference while hiking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE