What're your reasons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I come from an island crofting community (Isle of Lewis) so I think Bushcraft has always been part of my life.

Many of the skills and knowledge I watch you guys pass on at the Bushmoots is what I remember being taught as a kid by the men and women of my village.

Skills such as stalking, trapping, skinning, fishing (line & net), weaving, blacksmithing, carving, sharpening and planting to name but a few. I wish now I had paid more attention to what is being said but that is the price of youth I feel.

The men of my village still make an annual trip to a rocky island called Sula Sgeir for the Guga hunt. It is a tradition that has been followed for hundreds of years. The Guga is a chick Gannet and has a very distinctive taste. We are the only village in the UK that is allowed to do this hunt but each year there are many protests from organisations like Greenpeace to stop it. Personally it is a tradition I hope carries on as many of skills (traditional) they use would be lost if it was stopped.

I can also remember going out into the moors to collect lichen to dye the wool we had spun. A rather smelly process I remember but well worth the effort.

Now, I am a bit of a pyromaniac and get a good deal of satisfaction of watching the look on the faces of anybody I teach to use the bowdrill or handrill who get a coal and then a flame for the first time. I can think of only one or two other things to beat that sense of accomplishment.

We butchered all our own sheep on the croft and one of my jobs was singing the hair from the sheeps heads (dead of course!!), I think thats where my passion for firecraft comes from.

By the way I am only just shy of 40 even though this post makes me sound as if I am over 90.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE