What your Fave grind for a bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What grind for a bushcraft knife?

• Full flat grind

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • Convex grind

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • scandi grind

Votes: 80 63.5%
  • hollow grind

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Chisel grind

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
As the title says, whats your favorite grind for a bushcraft knife?

Im guessing it will be between convex and scandi and maybe full flat close behind.

My preference is for scandi then full flat

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
OOOPS :rolleyes:

Makes my prediction look a lil foolish as i could have read the previous thread (i didnt honest :lmao: )

I have chisel grind on mine....... for some unknown reason

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Could still be interesting to see if peoples opinions have changed at all......

Edit: In the last three weeks!! Sorry, I didn't see the original thread and I didn't click the link until after I had posted, I had no idea it was so recent!! :eek:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Different people seem to say different things but for me Sabre grind is a Scandi Grind with a secondary bevel

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Shinken said:
Different people seem to say different things but for me Sabre grind is a Scandi Grind with a secondary bevel

That means a lot of Finnish knives are "sabre" ground because so many come with a secondary bevel. :D I guess that fits because a lot of Finns prefer to think of themselves as Europeans, not Scandinavians. ;)

I think the secondary bevel is a trivial distinction. For my money, they are one and the same and in fact, the "Scandi Grind" itself varies, from a flat, shallow V to a hollow ground shallow V, with or without a secondary bevel. I guess it all depends on who's doing the defining. :)

"Grind" usually refers to shape of the main grind on the blade, not the shape of the edge. There are a lot of hollow ground blades out there with convex bevels. I think many of Jerry Hossom's knives are made this way. There are a lot of flat ground blades out there, with convex bevels. There are a lot of "sabre ground" blades that are convex sabre grinds, meaning shallow-ground with no secondary bevel. And on and on it goes. Trying to come up with perfectly defined categories is not so simple. I prefer to separate the description of the grind from the bevel description, but that's just my preference. YMMV. ;)

In Tim McCreight's book "Custom Knifemaking" he uses the following terms to describe blade cross-sections:

flat V, shallow V, hollow-ground, convex, fullered, and double edged

He makes no reference to the bevel and all the drawings he uses show no secondary bevel.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I agree. if some one asked me if i could make them a sabre ground knife, i would say "so you would like a scandi with a secondary edge bevel?"

There is what i think something is and then there is what the common term for something is. Like firesteel/ferro rod

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The thing is, you would be hard pressed to say that something like the Cold Steel SRK has a "Scandi" grind with a secondary bevel. :D

It would make things a lot easier if people refered to the main grind and the edge bevel separately, and specified where the main grind came to up the blade, but that is never gonna happen :lmao: Name tags and generalities are too tempting

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well then in that case, I suppose that my Mora Clipper has a Scandinavian grind with a very small secondary bevel. I tend to sharpen it with a small relief grind which is something I picked up from John Juranitch's book. It's amazing what a difference it makes.

Adam

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
I'll throw a wrench in the works here. My new fav is the newest offering from BRK&T. The Nebula is a Scandi grind that ends in a convex edge.

Overall Length: 9.475 Inches
Blade Length:4.5 Inches
Blade Steel:12C27
Hardness: 58rc
Blade Thickness: .156 Inch
Weight:5.5 Ounces

Mine is handled in blaze orange G-10 like this one

http://barkriverknives.com/albums/album192/Nebula_Blaze_Orange_S.jpg

Initial testing shows the blade is very controllable for wood working. The tip is closer to a Woodlore or Stewart Marsh style knife and drills like a dream. Mike at BRK&T is the master of 12C27 which is a stainless type steel. It keeps an edge at least as well as my carbon steel bushcraft knives and has not offered to rust despite my abuse.

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
Nope. This new 12C27 is a stainless type steel. It stands up to my use or abuse pretty well. If by abuse you count storing the knife in its sheath and actually using it.
LOL

I solved the rusting problems on the Aurora but applying a blacked finish with hot vinegar. Looks antique and has stopped the rust.

A2patenia1.BMP

Of course according to what I hear I am in the minority having problems with A2 steel. My A2 steel Northstar has never even hinted at rusting an I take no pains at all with it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice to hear RoS - and nice to see Mike starting to do Scandy(ish) grinds. I must say the Nebula still looks like a convex on the photos just not full height (i.e. the primary bevel doesn't look very flat) but that could be a trick of the light.

Actually I'm not opposed to a tiny amount of convexing as almost an invisible secondary bevel on a scandy - dependant on use and steel, it can protect the cutting edge from chipping (maily depending on use and steel)

Each to their own

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE