What you can afford?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I did implants in Sweden and UK, but gave that up coming here. Too small population to justify the investment, and too stressful....
I do the crowns on top though!
I refer all implants. To Sweden, UK, but mainly US.
How does a bridge compare with an implant? I have one implant now but I’m not the best candidate for th next one so I was thinking of a bridge.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
This time - no charge!

OK. You are missing a tooth.
Implant: You have at least 5mm or so residual bone thickness: Gum in the space (where the tooth used to be) is opened, a hole drilled ( progressively larger drills), then tapped, then a Titanium screw is inserted.
Technique 1: Gum stiched back over the implant, and the implant left (3-6 months) to heal in and 'osseo integrate' which is basically that the bone grows into a cellular contact with the metal. Then after osseointegration a hole is opened, a small collar screwed onto the implant, and gum left to heal, a week or two. Then the collar is removed, an abutment screwed onto the implant and a crown made. can either be cemented or screwed onto the abutment.
Tech 2: Similar to above, but no healing, but the abutment and crown are made asap.

Tech 1 negative - time
Tech 2 negative - less success %.
I did only Tech 1, and would myself only one that in my mouth.

Bridge: You have a gap.
The teeth on the side of the gap are shaped into pegs, an impression done, sent to a dental tech that mkes the bridge.
Think a bridge over a river, where the bridge rests on support on eac side, and a span over the river.

Bridges can be made with the span without a support on one side, think trampoline over a pool, but has to be made very rigid, and the tooth ( preferably minimum of two teeth) very healthy with no gum disease.

IMO a bridge is to be preferred if the teeth on the side of the gap have medium or large fillings.

Prices wary according to case and country, but a 3 unit bridge ( support-span-support) is about USD 3500, and one implant including crown about USD 4500.

A wellmade bridge, where the patients takes good care of it, should last 20-30 years. An Implant - life out.

Please note that there are many variables, in design, strength, cost, life, I took the average.
If you think of having an implant done, check which brand and use the Internet.
I would only accept an implant from certain manufacturers in N. America or Europe.
It is known that manufacturers in Asia use Titnium alloys that are cheap, but do not have the strength and ability to osseointegrate as well as the quality ones.

if an implant brakes - deep, deep $hit. Has to be removed with a trepane drill, then missing bone transplanted....
If an implant does not osseointegrate - deep, deepo $hit, as you lose a lot of bone around it and the adjacent teeth too.

Ask away if you have any more questions or I was not clear!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Forgot: All done with a local Anesthetic placed first.
No pain!
:)

Yes, it would scare the crap out of you if you saw what we see, even fillings. But you do not, you just lie there and think about the nice Assistant hanging over you!

I personally talk a lot to get peoples mind away from what I do.
Food, travel, cars, movies, fishing.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah. I had procedure 1 done the first time. That was about 15 to 20 years ago and that tooth’s still doing great. I had another tooth pulled a couple of years ago and couldn’t afford the implant for it at the time. Now I’m in better financial status with my third retirement coming in. However I now possibly have TMJ and my dentist recommends against the implant because, as he put it, it’s not a good idea for me to open my mouth that wide for that long while the procedure’s done. Also th price has shot up. My original cost about $2000 here in NW Florida but now the going rate is $6000. Also since it’s been so long since the tooth was pulled it’s likely I’d also need a bone graft.

That’s why I was considering a bridge. That said, I know an implant stabilizes bone loss (and thus the change to the shape of the face) but how is that affected by a bridge?

Oh, and another advantage (in my case) for the bridge is my dentist can do that himself. He refers me to an oral surgeon if I get the implant.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Are there teeth in front and back of the gap?
If yes, no change of face should happen, as the bone around the teeth will be intact. Some resorption in the gap, but not much in the future.
A bridge will not improve the bone situation.

Some juice, not even Daily Mail can supply:
Marlene Dietrich had all the teeth behind the eyeteeth pulled, and the bone shaved down, as it accentuated her cheek bone line.
A denture with the teeth set more towards the palate. Had problems eating and chewing, but bottle fed herself successfully.

Errol Flynn had a full denture. Tasmanian dentistry was non existent in the old days. Apparently he never took it out and cleaned, and had some seriously bad breath, so many actresses complained.....
Still a successful guy, both on screen and on the ladies front.....:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah. The one I’m thinking of at the moment has a good tooth on either side (3rd molar from th back, upper right) However I do have another missing tooth with only one tooth next to it. I’m missing one in th very back. Lower left.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Rude buggers. Good to see that part owner banned for 12 months and fined $500,000.
Basketball is a Canadian game, anyway.

Cautious optimism, Brian. I was in Vancouver when the Canucks lost the decider to the Boston in 2011. A huge cheer went up over the city after game five, leaving two clear chances for them to win it. Happiest sustained yell I have ever heard. All went rather downhill from then on, though.

I like that most US hockey players are from Canada and that nearly all of the Raptors are Americans.

It'll either be that a Canadian team wins the thing on Monday ... or Thursday ... or Sunday, or the Warriors pull off the mother of all comebacks. Raptor victory on Thursday would be ideal for purposes of building up tension and home winning etc, but my guess is most would like it cooked on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......I like that most US hockey players are from Canada and that nearly all of the Raptors are Americans.......
Even more so in the minor leagues. Our local minor league team, the Pensacola Ice Flyers, also fly the Canadian flag in th stadium and play the Canadian anthem before games.

And for at least the last year the concessions have been offering poutine.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't use potatoes. Use yams, parsnips and carrots for fries. Jalapeno mayo.
They DF very nicely at 3 mins 30 seconds in a seasoned flour coating. Drink upstream from the herd.
Looked at yesterday's grocery bill. Absolute stunner for fruit right now. BUT, I need it all.
Being near/on the west coast, we get a lot of produce up from Mexico and Peru/Chile.

Snowing above 4,000' again this morning and the furnace has been on all night.
+4C and pi$$ing rain at the house. Glad I can afford the heating bill!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Oven roasted parsnips and carrots are the best...

Ever done Hasselbacks potatoes?
Think ‘roasted potatoes on Steroids’

Cheap too. So in line with the spirit of this thread.....

Want to buy proper, auality, longlasting bushcraft equipment?
1: Buy Morakniv knifes
2: Eat more root veg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE