What would you miss the most?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
bambodoggy said:
I disagree... every serious survival book I've ever read and every course I've been on goes to great lengths to stress the importance of keeping yourself busy implying that there is in fact plently of time to spare.

It makes sence as it's proved that hunter gatherers have around 70% of their time as leisure time with only 30% of it collecting food.
I'm guessing this is how games came about and I see no reason why you couldn't play games to kill time if you were in a survival situation or indeed make up your own new games - assuming you've sorted out your life needs first of course.

For my part, the thing I'd miss most is a tye up between chocolet and rasberry dognuts :D

Bam. :D

I've heard that 70% figure before. Sounds like an easy life, eh?

Leisure time may have been extensive among the Ojibwe in our area, before white civilization (though I believe you'd have to go to a more temperate area to reach your 70 % figure). So was starvation. Personally, I'd take that 70% of leisure time and make sure my family didn't starve to death.

I do think the work would be more interesting and varied, but you've never seen anyone work hard until you see an Ojibwe wild rice camp, sugar camp, or Ojibwe's out hunting. Traditional Ojibwe have no concept of a "happy hunting ground" as an afterlife. They view hunting as hard work and hope for a heaven where they can relax and will not have to worry about feeding their families.

This was one reason alcoholism became so pervasive among Native American tribes. Once alcohol became available from white fur traders, they quickly became addicted to the release from having to worry about keeping themselves alive and fed.

PG

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pierre girard said:
I've heard that 70% figure before. Sounds like an easy life, eh?

I believe that figure is actually quoted from research done with the San bushmen of southern Africa :)

pierre girard said:
Leisure time may have been extensive among the Ojibwe in our area, before white civilization (though I believe you'd have to go to a more temperate area to reach your 70 % figure). So was starvation. Personally, I'd take that 70% of leisure time and make sure my family didn't starve to death.

Can't argue with you there at all Pierre :You_Rock_

BorderReiver said:
I don't think the original question mention survival,more like a permanent shift. Survival to me has a finite time limit.

That's true but it does mention that you are using your survival tools and that you are by a lake/forest with nothing else but that....off the top of my head I can't think of a more classic survival senario :confused:

BorderReiver said:
With our current state of knowledge (even Bushcrafters) we would have little time to get bored if we wanted to live healthily and comfortably in our new situation.

The original question also states that you are doing great by now and that your family is happy. If that's the case then why are you so busy? And although leisure time may at first be limited as you become more proficient in your skills so your leisure time will increase.
So again, why not play games...make up new games...build stuff...refine stuff you've already made....study nature and think about how nice it is to be out of the rat race :D

I'm not saying I'm right here and am certainly not saying you're wrong Mike, it's just interesting to discuss what others thoughts and expectations would be in a situation like this.

All th best,

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I believe that Pierre is more right than the researchers.
I am pretty sure that one would have to work his nuts off here to make a family survive. If in the old times the hunting and fishing was hard to feed a family how could it be better now with much less animals. Ok, in the 1930 we didnt have any Moose left here and now we got a lot. But if we go back in time where there where much less people and lots of more animals around still the account is quite schocking.

Here are some historical quotes from the book:
Food and emergency food in the circumpolar area by Kerstin Eidlitz

"In the old days people wore themselves out and still hardly got enought to eat. ... At home it was like a famine year all the time. On the day I was born , my father had caught nothing but a ptarmigan, which had to do for them all. Next day a Lapp arrived with meat and some other things besides, which he left behind. So then there was a feast.

cheers
Abbe

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
bambodoggy said:
Ok, then we'll just have to agree to differ on this one :) :p :)

Yes indeed. :D

As a matter of interest, Life in the Backwoods, by Susanna Moodie is worth a read.This is available on Project Guthenburg as an e book,free,and IMO gives a realistic picture of how hard life can be without our luxurious "necessities".Not exactly back to basics but damn close.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey I'm certainly not saying it's going to be an easy life, in fact far from it.....but all work and no play makes jack a very dull boy :p

Anyway, we've hijacked this thread enough I think :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Daniel Edwards said:
I think that I would miss having a nice warm bath every day, I can't go for more than a couple of days without feeling uncomfortable and sticky.

I guarantee you - after a week or two - you wouldn't even notice. Nor would anyone who was with you - if they were in the same condition. :lmao:

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I enjoy these questions, while at the same time I have a pretty good idea what it would be like to try and live off the land with few or no modern tools:

Fish? Make a net, make a line and hook, make a spear? How long does that take? What do you make it from? A spear would be the easiest to make, but if you know how to make a fish spear, do you know how to spear fish and where to do it?

Hunt? With what? Make a bow and arrows? How long does that take? What do you use for a bowstring? Sinew? How do you get the first deer? Make a spear? Do you know how to kill a deer with a spear?

Snare animals? With what? Make traps? Do you know how to make them and where to set them?

Pick berries? Is it the right season? Can you live on berries?

Collect roots and tubers? Do you know which ones are the right ones? Some that are edible will have you heaving if you eat them at the wrong time.

Edible plants - same problem

Many foods must be collected at just the right time of year and require specialized equipment, even if you can make it in the wilds. Do you know what you need and when?

I think most of us would go pretty hungry if set in the woods with only one tool, but for me that tool would be a knife - and I doubt I would have the time to miss anything.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE