What works best in Alcohol Burners.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Please....Dont say ALCOHOL!!!

Cant figure out what to use; Meths, White spirit,...What???

Im on my way to Wilkinsons in about 10 mins so some info would be great guys.

Cheers
Stu.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just use meths, some people have been using industrial alchohol whish as far as I remember is just pure alchohol without the colour or the wood alchohol that makes it unfit for tramps to drink but it seems like such a palarver to get it and not a vast difference to the way it burns anyway that its pretty pointless.

Meths is avaliable from all kinds of shops so its much simpler to just use that.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Just use meths, some people have been using industrial alchohol whish as far as I remember is just pure alchohol without the colour or the wood alchohol that makes it unfit for tramps to drink.....

Many years ago I turned a corner into Brick Lane market and came face to face with a tramp whom was in the process of glugging down an inverted bottle of meths.

I recognized the brand he was drinking as I'd used the same one for my meths stove. I stood there, transfixed in utter horror that someone would do such a thing, watching the bottle empty. I wanted to stop him!

I'd heard that tramps drank meths, but always thought it was just an old tale, sorry to go slightly off topic but your post reminded me of the incident.

Many years ago I turned a corner into Brick Lane market and came face to face with a tramp whom was in the process of glugging down an inverted bottle of meths.

I recognized the brand he was drinking as I'd used the same one for my meths stove. I stood there, transfixed in utter horror that someone would do such a thing, watching the bottle empty. I wanted to stop him!

I'd heard that tramps drank meths, but always thought it was just an old tale, sorry to go slightly off topic but your post reminded me of the incident.

"Good god, man! You're wasting good fuel. Here, take this bottle of claret."

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Have you ever tasted meths, awful.

On the upside, one of the chemicals used to denature the Ethanol is Pyridine because it dissolves in many alcohols and water so is difficult to remove, it also stinks. But it is a male sterilant reducing sperm motility.

So meths drinkers can't have children, thus meths drinking is not inherited :) .

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
ForgeCorvus
How good is Surgical Alcohol ?

Surgical Alcohol works fine. In the south of the continent it get harder to find meths. I spent 2days looking for meths in Slovenia before resorting to surgical alcohol. It was super cheap at 6quid for half a litre:eek:

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I bought some SA in Boots last year, I'm sure it was about 3 or 4 quid for a 1/2 ltr

I asked because I hate the smell of meths and thought I could use SA if there isn't too much of a price difference

Does SA soot-up like meths....or do I have to find out

Normal meths for me. Don't bother trying to do the 10% water thing, it makes very little difference. fresh meths seems to burn cleaner. I suppose older meths may lose some octane value. Home made alcahol didn't work very well at all (It wasn't made in my home by the way, Someone left a bottle of it on my doorstep one day..........honestly!)

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Once when in Devon (Hatherleigh specifically) I was unable to buy meths for my Trangia in the chemists or (small) supermarkets and was advised that white spirit would do the same job... It doesn't!!! It does burn (if you fashion a wick out of something) but with clouds of sooty black smoke and a totally uncontrollable flame, which is very difficult to extinguish safely. I would advise that you do not try White Spirit!!
Incidently if you are venturing abroad with your "alcohol burner" you may want this list (from Trangia's web site) with the name that meths (or equivalent) is known as in various countries:
Names of fuels in different countries

Argentina alcohol des naturalizado (95 or 88%)/alcohol de quemar/alcohol metílico
Australia methylated spirit
Belgium brand alcohol
Chile alcohol de quemar
Denmark Husholdsningssprit -93%
Czech Rebublic technický líh
Finland spiritus
France alcool â brûleur
Germany spiritus
Greece vytistijo Oimopmeula
Hungary spiritusz or denaturált szesz
Iceland vinandi/spiri
Italy alcool denaturato
Japan Alcohol
Canada (English) alcohol
Canada (French) alcool
Norway spiritus
New Zealand methylated spirit
Sweden tenol / rödsprit / T-röd
Spain alcohol de quemar
South America metilico
Switzerland Brennsprithttp
The Netherlands methanol alcohol/spiritus
Unites States burning alcohol

The pdf is at http://www.trangia.se/english/3652.directions_for_use.html
under "List of fuels", as there are some languages whose letters I cannot display!
Finally... If it's a Trangia you could take some photos and upload them to
http://www.flickr.com/groups/trangia/

I'll get my coat....

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Another vote for plain Meths.

In California last year we needed to buy some meths but the B&Q type hardware store only sold it in Gallon cans.:eek:
Luckily one of the camping/climbing shops had bought a can and were selling it per ounce into your own bottle. :D

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE