What wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Its difficult to tell the wood type - I'd guess maybe beech from the colour, seems too dark to be anything like Elm/Aspen, and lacking too much grain to be anything like oak.

Perhaps a fruit tree of some kind maybe?? :confused:

As far as soaking it goes, that will not necessarily soften the wood up much, especially if it is already aged. All the water will do is soak into the outer layers, and may not travel up the grain and soak the centre as you'd expect.

Also be careful when you dry it out, re-drying wet wood can often introduce new splits and breaks - do it very slowly with no rapid changes temperature.

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
It's hard to tell when it's wet.
Seems like it's quite old, or did you strip the bark off?
Where did you find it - that may help

If you can show me a cut through section I may be able to help.
It looks vaguely like a London Plane - or lace wood though I'd need to see a cut through section

Cheers

Venger

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
match:
Arg! I've taken it out of the water now - I don't want to risk splitting it for no real benefit. I doubt it's a fruit tree, but I can't really rule anything out. Maybe the bark below will help... :)

venger:
Yeah, I stripped the bark:

http://www-student.cs.york.ac.uk/~jw222/bark.jpg

I found it in a small local wood with a mix of trees, none of which I can name (d'oh).

Thanks all! :D

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
No, sadly no leaves ;) :p

I've hacked away at it a bit in the hope of exposing more grain:

http://www-student.cs.york.ac.uk/~jw222/one.jpg

http://www-student.cs.york.ac.uk/~jw222/two.jpg

And here's a marginally better view of the end:

http://www-student.cs.york.ac.uk/~jw222/three.jpg

The tree it came from was felled long ago, but it seemed to be totally straight, and quite long - about eight yards, give or take. This chunk was the fat end, but the thin end was only slightly thinner. I don't recall and obvious signs that big branches had been lopped off the sides, but I didn't look. It was definately totally straight though.

I really should start studying different types of wood - I'm hopeless at it, and every time I make something I find more and more reasons why it's essential! :(

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Yeah, that link looks pretty similar... I'll have a dig around for some sandpaper (I can only find emery paper at the moment!).

The core is hard - possibly slightly softer than the outer wood, but still bloody hard.

This is very exciting; like 20 questions but better ;) :D

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
lol :D
It's hard to do by internet :)
I'm generally pretty good with living trees - or at least ones with bark on them - in situ.

(leaves help too!)

You may never find an answer! (unless you go back and find a similar tree - with leaves and take a picture lol)

Venger

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
jim_w said:
Well, whatever it is I've just given up carving it! It's so hard! :'(

;) :D

Don't stop, it's a gorgeous wood.

laburnum_lg.jpg

If you want to see it for yourself, sand a section to a high poish but dry it first. (Maybe put it in a plastic bag with some wood shavings for a while)

Just don't use it for a spoon or food bowl as it is a poisonous wood (the best ones always are!)

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
Doesn't laburnam have a dark core -( false ebony!)

Like I said it's hard to tell - there's so many types of tree!

Yes, thanks goose :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Venger said:
Doesn't laburnam have a dark core -( false ebony!)

I've never heard it called that before and have never seen a piece that dark that I would confuse it with Ebony.
The picture of the bowl above is on the lighter end I've seen but then you do get darker too.

Both of these are Laburnum.
12Laburnum4Alan%20Southworth%20BwDfeb2005.jpg

laburnum002g.jpg

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
breif update: I've found a way to work this wood without killing myself (by strapping the wood to my thigh with a belt :eek:), so my secret plan is underway again! I'll post pics later - I've taken a bit of the outer wood off, so you can see the grain much better. It's very pretty! :D

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
Well I checked out some Laburum logs this weekend (3 - 4 dia) it's definatly not laburnum.
Laburnum (on all the logs I saw) has a dark centre, compared to the light wood, (not black but very dark)
If I had a camera I'd have taken photos

Venger

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Good to know it's not poisonous! :-D

It has a wonderful grain - hard to describe really, and I can't seem to get it to show up in photos. I'll have another go once it's oiled. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE