What will Ray do next??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the skills are allready there militarily and he would get shown up in a few of them like bfpo11 which is the jungle school or the old long range patrol school that was in weingarten as they teach a different style and also use local instructors to augment the military ones. in belize the old guy who took us kept the snakes to show us in his back yard. we were taught to survive and if possible to suppliment our rations, it would be a long long time before we could live there. they can only show you that its possible to live mainly so you dont die from lack of morale.

why get rm to teach you something he admits he is still learning when the iban live it everyday. thats why rm joins in otherwise he knows he's out of his depth untill its time to teach a different way to do stuff for the cameras.

its actually a really boring subject both to teach and learn even though it is fascinating when you have the right mindset but you learn it out of necessity which is the best way - take a guys pack, hammock, sleeping bag and tarp away and make him live in a debris hut or a swamp bed for a few days and his whole outlook will change starting with the contents of his pockets.

there's a lot of self proclaimed bushcrafters and survivalists out there lacking an awfull lot of information and skills which ray mears cant cure. fortunately you only really need to stay alive for around three days in the uk before someone will trip over you. yes you can survive with just a fancy knife and a cup but you can die just as easily - what you lack in knowledge you make up for in preparation :)

if you wanted an are you tough enough then the old style scottish commando course from ww2 would be the one. recruits were not allowed to cross the river via the bridge so had to wade and swim it twice a day. they lived mainly on trapped rat. that was the precursor to the old sas courses as to be sas you started off as a commando then learnt a bit more regards weapons and explosives. that aradnacarry (spelling?) course led to just about every special forces unit in the world.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Rm does teach the Forces. He has been down to Chivenor to teach Royal and the BRF (Which is where the infamous multiple big mac meals shenanigans occured!), and he goes to Hereford and does some survival training there. He also does stuff with the RAF fast jet pilots as you saw on one of his programmes. I'd imagine he gets paid a wedge for doing these parts of the courses, but also imparts a good deal of knowledge. I don't know if fire by friction and the like is the skill sets he teaches, I'd assume he would revert back to his survival days and teach the skills necessary to survive in a hostile enviornment.

So, he's already done the Armed Forces. He's done Ozzie Bushcraft (that's not biting the head of a bat neither!) and he's gonna do Canadian next. He really needs to start thinking about a UK skill sets based programme in the same vein as the Tracks series.

Or else!

:eek:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Iam hoping he does something British based,Iam repeating myself I know! Either that or release his first stuff on dvd!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
some quality BBC heli-gimble action of the Mears-meister tackling rapids in a birch bark canoe?

sounds proper good :)

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Can feel myself cringing at him singing that french/canadian song while paddling his canoe as we speak.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd like to see him do a series on traditional handcrafts from the British Isles. From making baskets and fishtraps to thatching roofs. Dry stane dykeing to pole lathe turning.
Using the natural resources acquired from our environment, and using the techniques that have been successful here for millenia.

cheers,
Toddy

from what ive gathered, mr.mears is a nice guy, and his marketeers are right g*ts
alot of people seem to want a britain based one, so I think he will do that, he should expell all the negative vibes some of the things hes done recently have made by running of leaving a note for his marketeers saying "gone for a while, be back later" and runs of into very northern scotland and comes back 1 year later with footage of real survival, he could realy prove his metal, dead or living in a cool wooden hut self sufficient and thriving :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
He was on BBC Radio 2, Micheal Ball show this morning.

He is doing a Canada show, about the exploring of Canada. Going to take about a year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE