What wet weather gear for working outdoors do you use??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I am fed up getting wet through working outside , I have used Gore tex and most other types of waterproofs and when u wear them all day in constant rain they fail! I am now looking at Deadliest catch type bib and brace and jacket , does anybody use this type and what do you think of them?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
They're probably ok for trawler men in the arctic ocean but they'll make you so hot you'll sweat uncomfortably.
The foresters around here wear Mountain Method gear, its basic and cheap but works well in very wet temperate conditions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got some blue castle waterproofs that are pretty good and cheap enough for work

to stay dry all day you need more than one coat in my experience......mind you, I don't think I'v ever worked out all day in the pouring rain and stayed totally dry. Dry'ish yeah but never completely if it really chucking down

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I wear an old wax cotton jacket. As sunndog said, in proper, all day full on rain I just accept that I'm going to get a bit wet. If you're working hard enough, you don't notice it till you get home.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Gill nothing works bud ,if its so called breathable fabric it will leak at some point ,,and if it non permeable fabric ,ie oil skins and the like you sweat a lot if you are grafting ,,I have tried them all ,the best thing to do if your working in the rain all day is take a complete change with you, everything right down to your kegs .. and change at lunch time it makes working in the rain tolerable
Or you can do what we did on a big roofing job were it rained every day for 10 weeks,, was big breakfast in the morning and work until you are drenched no breaks for tea and then go home,, we were finishing at about two to three o'clock but still got the job done on time ,keep something dry to change into for the journey home

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Gore Tex Blenbecula jacket in mega Hi Viz railway orange, its a bomber length which is a bit short for some people but I'm a carpenter and can't be done with long jackets that restrict access to my hammer and tool pouch. It doesn't have a hood, just a large collar which when up covers all the back of my neck and part way up the back of my head. I either wear a hard hat with it (no jackets I've used yet have had a hood that's good with a builders hard hat so they usually just collect water) or with a Lowe Alpine Mountain cap.
Totally dry top half ensured with that setup.
I have absolutely zero interest in waterproofs that take ages to dry, not keen on putting wet waterproofs back on in the morning and the Blenbecula fabric is a fair bit thicker than many other gore walkers fabrics and its stood upto site use for a couple of years so far. If I lost that jacket I would be straight down to Arco looking for another.

Bottom half? Mmm, that's not so easy as although I have Gore Tex overtrousers they are a bit of a pain to wear and restrict movement a bit.
I might end up getting some Gore Tex Sallopettes at some point which I think might be a better bet.
Me, pinning the tilt fillet into the top of a shutter at Barrow In Furness in the rain/sleet a while ago.
DSC01952_zps4ed34d8d.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Go to Arco and buy a couple of pairs of their heavy duty 'workman' trousers, then take them home and nikwax them.
If it's pouring all day, change when you get a break and a bite to eat at lunchtime, into the second set.
Either accept that you'll be sodden wet with sweat (but no windchill) inside properly waterproof waterproofs, or buy army goretex jacket set from Endicott's.
They won't break the bank and they're at least as tough as the expensive high end ones out there. Again, it really is worth proofing them before you use them. Wickes sell a hi-viz waterproof and fleece lined jacket that a lot of folks really like too…and it's pretty cheap, iirc.

It's not so much the wet all day, but the wet all day and never ending blooming wind that gets me frozen.

The Lowe Alpine mountain cap's worth every penny. I have two of them. The only thing I found that works under a hard hat is a balaclava…..and one of the hiking wick away ones is worth it in the rain too. Just make sure that you crumple up the hem 'outside' your jacket collar, or fold it up like a watch cap.

I generally just work sodden wet but stop the windchill dead with waterproofs. You have to watch for blisters and chaffing though. Day in day out, it's miserable.
Sod's law; it's work.

M

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I am laying pipes (storm/foul )and putting manholes in etc ,so its not graft that will make me sweat etc ,the other problem is we don't have access to a drying room /canteen .Any gore tex jackets etc wets out and still needs drying , I was looking at Flexothane or Grundens .

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Flexothane or monsoon neoprene are pretty good get the bibs so most of the time you can open the jacket, they also vent a bit better because they aren't so tight.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
If I'm doing tree work then I tend not to wear waterproofs as I'm working so hard that no "breathable" membrane is going to keep up with my sweat glands and I end up just as soggy....so now I've learned just to get wet and work harder to keep warm....it's horses for courses but tree surgery is a very physical job :) I then keep a towel and set of dry clothes in my truck for when I'm finished.

If I'm doing stumps then it's a pair of my old issue Dpm gortex trousers and a orange jacket that looks very much like Demographics.

I have to be honest in that rain and getting wet from it really doesn't bother me anymore....if it ever did at all :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am laying pipes (storm/foul )and putting manholes in etc ,so its not graft that will make me sweat etc ,the other problem is we don't have access to a drying room /canteen .Any gore tex jackets etc wets out and still needs drying , I was looking at Flexothane or Grundens .

Thing is doing that kind of work any clothes you wear gets so dirty (and pipe grease won't help with breathability) that it will clog up.

Personally I'd rather have waterproofs that dry off fast but nothing will work perfectly, I've done enough shuttering to know how dirty that kind of work can be.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are many levels of weather protection built into working rain gear.
I worked in that sea gear pulling a shrimp trawl for 3 months.
Sou'wester hats look odd but that long back bill sheds the water better than anything.
Not just rain but the wind driven wave spray.

Besides "work-wear" shops, I bought my last coat at a chandler's.
Actually an off-shore sailing/racing coat and I have put it through it's paces on the water.
Expensive but I got what I paid for.
4X large so that I could wear what I needed beneath it.

Can you get up to Whitby and talk with the last of the fishers there?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Think outside the box dude n get a gazebo.. electric connection crew came too our site the other week n they had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Think outside the box dude n get a gazebo.. electric connection crew came too our site the other week n they had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fairly simple when you're work area is as well defined as Jointers (my mate is one) but not so easy when machines are about all the time and the work area is a hundred years long.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Fairly simple when you're work area is as well defined as Jointers (my mate is one) but not so easy when machines are about all the time and the work area is a hundred years long.
Anyone working for that length of time will have waterproofed skin, a sore back, a birthday card from Her Majesty............

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Flexothane has my vote, I've used it in a couple of different occupation s.
1st when I was doing building restoration/cleaning (power washing off ladders and towers all day every day ) and 2ndly when I was a gully tank/jetter operative for the council.... It's finding the right underlayers that work best between your own body and your outer shell...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE