What wet weather gear for working outdoors do you use??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I am fed up getting wet through working outside , I have used Gore tex and most other types of waterproofs and when u wear them all day in constant rain they fail! I am now looking at Deadliest catch type bib and brace and jacket , does anybody use this type and what do you think of them?

About a week ago I was working nights on the Airport working on the Taxiway we started at 23:00hrs and so did the wind and rain we didn't stop all night and finished work at 04:00hrs it rained all night and we were kitted out in Gore-Tex Clothing and I was wearing Danner Fort Bragg Gore-Tex Boots and after 5 hours in weather like that we were all soaked through and our boots were full of water, I really don't know what kit would keep you completely dry, Other water proofs I have worn in the past makes you sweat so you end up uncomfortably wet, If there is any kit out there that doesn't cost the earth to buy that will keep you fully dry for 5 hours or more Please let me know.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For rough work up in the woods and around the farm I work on I just use a rather elderly and beaten up Ventile jacket, usually over a wool lined waxed cotton gilet and or wool shirt in winter.
This keeps me feeling good all the time I am out.
If it starts getting through to the skin I put an MOD poncho over the top (if I am not needing too much in the way of freedom of action) or find work indoors (not happened yet!) or under some cover of some sort...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For rough work up in the woods and around the farm I work on I just use a rather elderly and beaten up Ventile jacket, usually over a wool lined waxed cotton gilet and or wool shirt in winter.
This keeps me feeling good all the time I am out.
If it starts getting through to the skin I put an MOD poncho over the top (if I am not needing too much in the way of freedom of action) or find work indoors (not happened yet!) or under some cover of some sort...

How long does the Ventile take to dry out after a soaking?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
As Toddy mentioned the Lowe Alpine hat is worth wearing, many have copied its design. The army version is good yet struggles to stay velcroed under the chin.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
As Toddy mentioned the Lowe Alpine hat is worth wearing, many have copied its design. The army version is good yet struggles to stay velcroed under the chin.

Soory missed this I already have a lowe alpine hat and it is right up there ,top drawer!!

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Hell yes, great thing.
I've worn the three quid watch caps from the local Esso for years and whilst good in the cold they don't stop the rain for long.
Recently bought (thirty bleedin quid) a Lowe Alpine mountain cap and its great. Obviously its no use on sites where you have to wear a hard hat (in those cases I wear a thinner watch cap under the hard hat).

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hell yes, great thing.
I've worn the three quid watch caps from the local Esso for years and whilst good in the cold they don't stop the rain for long.
Recently bought (thirty bleedin quid) a Lowe Alpine mountain cap and its great. Obviously its no use on sites where you have to wear a hard hat (in those cases I wear a thinner watch cap under the hard hat).

On the contrary buddy they are almost perfect for under a hard hat!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have used helly hansen voss jacket and over trousers but to do so means I have to slow my activity right down as they are not breathable or vented but they are properly waterproof, not just a DWR layer or membrane, they never wet out and never cling to your skin like some waterproofs... oh, cheap as chips too.

It depends on your work, if it's standing in rain the HH stuff is perfect, if it's strenuous work, the HH stuff is much less perfect. Don't expect to go through brambles or anything nasty in them either, they aren't built or priced for that kind of survival. I keep my set in the car and love them.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I am fed up getting wet through working outside , I have used Gore tex and most other types of waterproofs and when u wear them all day in constant rain they fail! I am now looking at Deadliest catch type bib and brace and jacket , does anybody use this type and what do you think of them?

Having worked in a hardware store in Anchorage Alaska (Alaska Industrial Hardware) and outfitted many trawlermen I can tell you 90% use Helly Hansen waterproofs. At about a month out from the start of the King crab season all the greenhorns come up from the US and get outfitted for deck work then catch a fligh down to Dutch and hope to get hired. Also If you interested the boots they wear are Xtratuf insulated non steel toe wellies.

I can personally vouch for HH waterproofs as I used a set outdoors in the soggy Alaskan autumn, always stayed nice and dry. As you said get the bib and brace trousers if you're bending over that way you won't get a wet bum. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE