What type of wood...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

DarkHorse

I'm interested in building a bow and arrows and also a flute (as in the instrument) out of wood available in south UK?

Does anyone know what type of trees I should be looking for?

I really have no idea how to go about this, its an idea I just came up. Has anyone ever done this or know anything? :)

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
There is loads of info on here about bow making, specifically dwardo and robin wood as I understand are experts in this field.

I would suggest searching for it though as I can't remember specific threads I just know it's on here somewhere. Here is a link to using google to search the forum as many people find the sites search function to be quite poor.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89220

And to give a brief answer, Yew is a good bow making material, though you need the right section etc with no twists or knots. I would use the term stave to find some relevant posts.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No expert but it is something i love to do.
Woods, ash, elm, yew, cherry, to name a few. I believe you lot have hornbeam down there too.
Good place to start is forearm thick, 6ft in length, no knots and as straight as you can get it.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Ash is definitely the choice for a first go at bow-making. There's a lot of information on this online. I've shot a few professionally-made ash bows and enjoyed it. Ash was used alongside yew in medieval Britain. Regardless of the wood type, you need a long peice with very straight grain (unless you're confident joining and laminating like most modern bowyers, in which case you need smaller pieces with very straight grain). Your best chance at getting this is with ash. Even in the medieval heydey of the famous yew longbow, we imported almost all of the staves from southern Europe, where yew trees grow faster (greater length between knots) and straighter. With what's available in your local woods, you will probably make a better bow from ash than you will from yew. It's also slightly simpler from a woodworking perspective.

What do you mean by flute exactly? I wouldn't go to much trouble with elder. It's true that it's easily hollowed, and you can make a simple whistle from it, for a little fireside amusement, using some bit of twig lying around for a fipple, or you can get a sort of panpipe thing going on. However, elder is very soft and coarse: the instrument would not be very durable, nor would it be easy to tune holes with precision.

Willow whistles (aka willow flutes) are a common woodsy trick, and more durable than elder. Such whistles can play a number of notes, by overblowing and by covering or uncovering the end. The ability to make such a whistle is more widespread than the ability to play anything resembling a tune, although some can.

If by flute you mean a tuned instrument (recorder/whistle/transverse flute), then you want something hard and fine-grained - fruit woods or beech maybe - so that (1) the hard work results in an object that will last, and (2) so that the holes can be drilled very precisely. This is challenging woodworking, but there is information online.

It occurs that a swanny whistle (willow, hazel) can play more than one note, albeit comically!

While not native, bamboo has some obvious advantages, and is widely used for instruments in the far east. Do any friends with gardens have a stand?

Bone flutes and gemshorns also spring to mind - both primitive but excellent instruments. The hollowing out is largely done for you, leaving only the tricky part - drilling and tuning.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I made an irish flute in low D from plumbing pipe, following this guy's instructions:

https://sites.google.com/site/dougsflutes/makingasimpleirishflute

Using PVC, making the flute took about an hour and it plays well. A bit crap in high notes like all cylinder bore flutes, but a nice sound in the low notes.

at the end of that page is a link to a calculator that you can use to work out the bore, hole sizes and hole positions for a flute in almost any key.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Plenty of advice on bow making so far but I would caution against making your arrows from bamboo - the slightest sliver of a splinter running across the back of your hand is all it takes to begin a bad day.

Instead, go for a straight grained light wood (cedar is popular) and ensure that the grain rises away from your hand towards the front of the arrow (difficult to explain in text but look at an arrow to see what I mean) so that if it does break on release, the pointy part goes up and away from your hand rather than down towards it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Plenty of advice on bow making so far but I would caution against making your arrows from bamboo - the slightest sliver of a splinter running across the back of your hand is all it takes to begin a bad day.

Instead, go for a straight grained light wood (cedar is popular) and ensure that the grain rises away from your hand towards the front of the arrow (difficult to explain in text but look at an arrow to see what I mean) so that if it does break on release, the pointy part goes up and away from your hand rather than down towards it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ouch - hadn't thought of that - but then I shoot off a shelf.

D

DarkHorse

Wow thanks guys,
so much knowledge - I'm seriously impressed - a lot of food for thought here!

What other things do people here make out of materials in the wild? :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Western Red Cedar is a good one for your flute. Historically, it was used by First Nations people in North America for that - and other - purposes.

Ash or Rowan for the bow. It's best to go for a flat bow or Mere Heath-type design with this.

Arrows? Well, hazel or dogwood would be useful and readily findable in the U.K. woodlands.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
... or Rowan for the bow...

Really? Have you tried this? I love the idea, but I find it surprising in terms of timber properties. Or are we talking as part of a laminate? Rowan is very special tree for me, I'd love to have a rowan bow, but I'd be surprised if it actually performed to any degree. Has anyone done this?

Oh, and good call on the WR Cedar too - I love to work that stuff - easy going wood, smells awesome. As it happens, I'm currently trying to learn how to draw in a simple Pacific Northwest Native style, in the hope of eventually being able to have a go at some WRC carving, or painting bentwood boxes. Long way off though - it's harder than it looks!

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Really? Have you tried this? I love the idea, but I find it surprising in terms of timber properties. Or are we talking as part of a laminate? Rowan is very special tree for me, I'd love to have a rowan bow, but I'd be surprised if it actually performed to any degree. Has anyone done this?

Oh, and good call on the WR Cedar too - I love to work that stuff - easy going wood, smells awesome. As it happens, I'm currently trying to learn how to draw in a simple Pacific Northwest Native style, in the hope of eventually being able to have a go at some WRC carving, or painting bentwood boxes. Long way off though - it's harder than it looks!

I have seen a few bows make from rowan but have not had the chance to try it my self. Tried everything else over here but never found a decent stave of rowan.
Rowan is in the srobus family so should be good and reports say it has a good .SG

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
...never found a decent stave of rowan...

Doesn't surprise me! Be hard pressed down here in the southwest, compared to ash anyway. Big rowans further north though I think - saw some real beauties in Scotland last month.

Well that's very interesting. I know very little about survival bows and what have you, just coming at this from the point of view of modern & medieval longbow, but perhaps that's not very bushcrafty. I just can't imagine a rowan bow shooting very well. What sort of draw weights have you seen? Good cast? There's evidently a lot on the net about primitive bows in random (to me) woods - I could get interested in this!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Doesn't surprise me! Be hard pressed down here in the southwest, compared to ash anyway. Big rowans further north though I think - saw some real beauties in Scotland last month.

Well that's very interesting. I know very little about survival bows and what have you, just coming at this from the point of view of modern & medieval longbow, but perhaps that's not very bushcrafty. I just can't imagine a rowan bow shooting very well. What sort of draw weights have you seen? Good cast? There's evidently a lot on the net about primitive bows in random (to me) woods - I could get interested in this!

Have a quick search through my "started threads" there are plenty of stunning bow woods right on our doors step. Some if not all can compare to yew if designed right.
The two rowan bows were designed with the wood in mind and had very good cast and weight. ;)

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
I have made a rowan bow, the draw weight isn't very high but it shoots nicely. I have also made an elder flute and it's more or less in tune and plays nicely. I would disagree that elder flutes aren't durable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE