What type of apples...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
...are these?
eheda4yb.jpg

I found the tree on a walk in new-ish woodland so I assume they aren't indigenous.
Would they just fall under the Cultivated umbrella?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On the assumption that it isn't a wild crab apple (and Bushwacker Bob is probably right that it is) then you would need to see a whole apple, from top and bottom view, and possibly a leaf as well, to get a definitive answer.

Oh, and you would need an apple expert, which I'm not.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
But they're red! And way, way to big to be crabapples.

We have a crab apple on the road outside and they are red right now. As for size it's hard to tell from pic. But they look small if compared to leaf size on tree so I would guess crab. Is tree behind apple too? If so then would guess so as that implies planted.

I do love finding a rouge self set eating apple on a walk.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Where does a crab apple end and a cultivar begin? it is all a continuum, and some cultivars are smaller than crab apples anyway. Malus 'golden hornet' for example.

It is always nice to find an apple tree though. :)

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
In my limited experience they're far too big to be crab apples.
uzamadad.jpg

And way too palatable...
gahu8egy.jpg

They're less acidic than a Granny Smith and a bit sweeter but crunchier than the usual Red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Where does a crab apple end and a cultivar begin? it is all a continuum, and some cultivars are smaller than crab apples anyway. Malus 'golden hornet' for example.

It is always nice to find an apple tree though. :)

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire

I didn't know that mate.

And yes, its very nice to find an apple tree, there's two next to each other at least two more in the same wood, an its pretty secluded so I guess they're all mine :p

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm, I seem to have double-posted somehow...

Nitrambur has the best point though. If it is nice to eat, who cares? If not, it is still useable as a cooking apple, or even just as a source of pectin for making jams and jellies.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice. Can see size better on close ups now. Do apples hybridise easily?

But result if its a sweet eating apple. Be interesting to put a few in store and see how well they keep. Great little snack apples by the looks of it. Result :)

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Nice. Can see size better on close ups now. Do apples hybridise easily?

But result if its a sweet eating apple. Be interesting to put a few in store and see how well they keep. Great little snack apples by the looks of it. Result :)
Apples hybridise incredibly easily, in fact you can only get a true version of a variety by taking a cutting, any apple grown from seed will be a new variety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE