What tree/shrub species have a pith?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All

Still on my 6 note whistle/fipple flute crusade and rapidly depleting the stocks of straight elder in my local vacinity! Who would have thought it would be this complicated... not me!

So I was wondering, to my knowledge elder is one of our only native species with a pith in the centre (easy to remove and create a hollow tube for a flute... and then kindling!) or am I wrong? Are there any other species that I could potentially use.

(I know I could raid the local garden centre for bamboo but thats not really in keeping with the exercise.

Alternatively any suggestions on how can I bore the 'bore' to create a cylinder out of solid stemmed species (without deliberately splitting and gouging out the core). I know machine turners have nifty jigs etc they employ for the job but I shouldn't think a pole lathe could be adapted for this purpose as it has a reciprocating action and the tolerances too wide.

Your help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Leo

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
would it be worth working out the design (dimensions, hole size placement etc) on bamboo then transferring it to your 'natural' materials

would it be worth working out the design (dimensions, hole size placement etc) on bamboo then transferring it to your 'natural' materials

Thanks for getting back to me.

The problem is really fipple set up at this stage and getting a consistent approach that I can replicate. Even bamboo is variable in its dimensions as a natural material so it will achieve the same thing I suppose. It's getting that first note from the blown end before you begin to refine the tuning.

I borrowed a really rudimentry one of a friend that apparently was made by children... it is made from bamboo with a cork fipple block and it works! It really is basic, but I spend hours filing and sanding and can't seem to get a model that reliably works yet!

Leo

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
if your going to use walnut only cut/prune it in july....this is the only time of year your can do it, other wise you could shock the tree and kill it.( Can bleed to death as it'll weep like a good'n)

what about looking for dead limbs/branches and remove the dead pulp from the inside ?

good luck

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent, i'll try some of that too. Ironically I spent a few years cutting budlia when I worked for the National Trust as it was a non native on a SSSI, I think i'd be hard pushed to find some now!

Leo

We have a mature Buddleia in our garden, I'll be pruning it soon if you want any sending down ?

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
"any suggestions on how can I bore the 'bore' to create a cylinder out of solid stemmed species"

Would it be worth burning a bore out with a hot steel polka, followed by a clean out of the charded inner walls to size...?

smoggy

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I would have thought setting up a large drill bit level with a table, screw down a length of wood just off centre to it on the table and take your wood along that edge, that should keep it dead straight, just go slow and make sure the drill does all the cutting.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
yeah rose would work as well, domestic or wild, also large blackberry branches would have a decent pith, but with both you'd probably want to trim the thorns off. i'd reccomend waiting till september before you cut any blackberry, for no reason other than a tasty snack whilst your doing it ;)

ATB
TJ

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rich

That is a very kind offer, yes please. Obviously the straighter the better. Let me know when and I'll send you the cost of postage.

Excellent.

Leo

I'm attacking the bush tomorrow Leo so I'll have some bits for you, any preference for diameter or length ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry Rich, I only just noticed your reply. Probably turned it into ash by now but future reference about 30-35cm long 15-20mm diameter as straight as you can get with a good amount of pith! Fussy eh?!!!!!

Still plenty more on there mate, I'll get some down for you tomorrow

PM me your addy and I'll get it away next week, with a big "Fragile Do Not Bend" label on it ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE