What tracks could this be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
When I went to get some firewood I saw these foot prints next to the wood store, any ideas what they might be? A 50p piece would just nicely cover the print, to give an idea of scale. It looked like the culprit went under the shed so I dont think it was a cat....
sales475.jpg

sales472.jpg

sales473.jpg

cheers Jonathan :)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'd go for squirrel too. 4 claws and well defined pads, right gait by the looks of it. I'll look at the book when I get home from work unless anyone comes up with something definitive.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I cant be sure but it seemed to me like it had 5 toes? and sharp claws? Just went out for another look but its melted somehwat and is very unclear now

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your sudgetions :) I do see squirells fairly often, but up till now, never that close to the house. I supose it could of been a rat, I see them from time to time as well (dont tell Mrs D :lmao:)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
If the tracks are all over the place its a squirrel, if its around boundries and against walls it will be a rat, they like to keep themselves against walls to protect themselves from attack.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just found this with a bit of googlefu:

animal_tracks_other.jpg

Big rat? Small squirrel? Not an enormous difference between the two, just more evidence that grey squirrels are just rats with a cuter outfit and a better PR man.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I need to get a video cctv. Last night I think we had a fox run in and back out again judging by the tracks. I could see where it took off and leaped up onto a step. It went under some trees in the hedge then turned round and went back out. The tracks looked too big heavy and deep to be a cat's. I followed them out to the front, I could see where there were scratches where it dug something from under the snow, each scratch was a band of lines gouged in, about 2 inches wide, you could see the claw lines very clearly.

Last edited:

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
I did think hedgehog but this cold would be too much for them. They'd also not find any grubs or the likes at this time of year. Might be one with a death wish lol
Probably a fox as said before....

Simon

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I did think hedgehog but this cold would be too much for them. They'd also not find any grubs or the likes at this time of year. Might be one with a death wish lol
Probably a fox as said before....

Simon

Do they not wake up every now and then during winter to empty themselves and fluff up the pillows etc? Im sure other mammals do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE