What torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I am in the Army and need to use my torch for all sorts. Low level tactical light, red filter, area light for writing orders, head light, guiding vehicles, but most importantly I use batteries I can get free from the Quartermaster. The mini mag takes the right batteries (AA) and you can buy all sorts of bits for it. If you put black tape over the spare clear lense then you have a tactical light that you can see contour lines with. You can also buy a head strap which you can discard if you dont need it. You can turn it into a candle and hang it from the hatch handles of your armoured vehicle. Jack of all trades and master of none? Well it has done me well for a very good price.
Then again, you might want something completely different. You might even be American; in which case buy a spotlight, fix it to the top of your Humvee and hunt with a huge rifle, top to tail camo Ghillie and a flourescent vest.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Alchemist I can highly recommend an Opalec Newbeam LED conversion for your MiniMag. You won't regret it. Read this review from FlashlightReviews.com.
The Opalec is very robust, I've dropped my minimag onto concrete and the Opalec keeps going. I used to get through loads of incandescent bulbs when I was in the army.

By the way what are you in?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
One thing that the Opalec gives me that I wish I had had whilst I was on ex - no flipping bulbs to change on the mini-Maglite. Had a few times where I swapped out the bulb by touch in the middle of nowhere...

The Terralux conversion is much brighter, but has shorter runtimes accordingly.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Fantastic. The versatility of the minimag strikes again!
I am a Royal Engineer at the moment but will be posted to 1 UK Civ Div before Christmas. So I need desparately to get my outdoor fix on a regular basis. This will prove hard with a 2 week old baby and a move to the midlands.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get that fix with a little nipper around?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
steven andrews said:
Alchemist I can highly recommend an Opalec Newbeam LED conversion for your MiniMag. You won't regret it. Read this review from FlashlightReviews.com.
The Opalec is very robust, I've dropped my minimag onto concrete and the Opalec keeps going. I used to get through loads of incandescent bulbs when I was in the army.

Just read the article on their website, what a great idea, got one on order myself now

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
steven andrews said:

Got my conversion kit on Friday, what a great bit of technology, incredibly bright, well worth the money IMO, took about 30 seconds to change the Minimag over from a bulb to the LED's. Well chuffed :)

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
I have the terralux conversion and it is fantastic, have not checked the runtimes but it is a much smoother brighter beam, I use a petzl tikka XP as well which has a good range but for around camp it is not a good as the tikka plus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE