What to use to sharpen a Mora Bushcraft Force?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2011
england
I have just bought a Mora Bushcraft Force and was wondering what to use to sharpen it. I have read that you can use sand paper and also Japanese Wetstones but haven't really got a clue on what to use. :confused:

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
I can recommend Japanese waterstones, they can deliver an extremely sharp edge and are easy to use after a bit of practice.
They are also ideal for scandi ground (single flat bevel) knives which I think the bushcraft force is.
I use a 1000/6000 combination stone (£30-£35) which works well to tidy up a dull edge. I also use a nagura stone in conjunction with the 6000 grit to produce a slurry on the stones surface, this slurry polishes the edge to a mirror shine during final stages of sharpening.
Hope this helps!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Fallkniven DC4 is about all I use these days, maybe once or twice a year I'll use the waterstones if I'm having a sharpening sesh :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
If its blunt, I use leather strop. If its chipped, burred, bent, cracked, snapped, curled, broken, twisted or scarred I use waterstones.

If your on a budget see the £5 sharpening thread. If you want the best tool for the job 4 take JD's advice on the waterstones.

Happy sharpening!

Jan 11, 2011
england
One more question, How do I tell if the knife has a secondary bevel and if it does how do I adjust my sharpening accordingly?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You'll see it. Angle the blade to the light and you will easily see one. If it has one and you want to keep it, just sharpen at a steeper angle. If you want a flat scandi, then just kep the bevel flat against the stone. I like a small secondary on my scandi grinds as they are quite easy to chip without.

Jan 11, 2011
england
Thanks guys I think I will opt for the £5 sharpening kit and see how I go. I will also buy the DC4 for when on expeditions.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
If you can get 6000 grit sandpaper yeah

The problem is that the grit is measured using a different scale - a Japanese standard rather than an ISO standard. I'm sure I've read somewhere on-line that 6000g Japanese isn't far off 1500g ISO, and you can get wet & dry up to 2500g, and other abrasive papers to 1 micron or less.

I can put rather a nice polish on a tool with worn 1000g wet & dry, and a quick strop on leather and metal polish gives a high polish. A 6000g waterstone also puts rather a nice polish on a tool. I usually use wet & dry because it's more convenient for me.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE