Arthritis adaptions that you have had to make.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
I have worsening arthritis, particularly in thumbs and wrists, and when I came to use a ferro rod yesterday I could generate enough force to generate decent sparks.
I’m interested in any adaptations fellow sufferers have made in their bushcraft activities, either due to arthritis or other disability (I’m in a wheelchair currently too).

Reactions: Ystranc

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Feel your pain, i have sudden onset arthritis and my most recent diagnosis is severe Rheumatoid with secondary Osteo, i have to use a wheelchair if and it's a big if, i can get out of the house and im currently medically housebound whilst i wait for multiple joint replacement surgeries (anywhere from four to eight operations on the horizon) and I need the help of at least two people to get me out of the door for Hospital appointments.

I have found that certain aspects of "bushcraft" have kept me going, whittling, carving, making cordage and general tinkering have kept me sane and importantly have helped with exercising my joints, even my physios and OT's were impressed by the level of grip i have retained and increased in my funny shaped hands and they put it down to keeping as active as i can and exercising, but they have warned me on more than one occasion not to overdo things, as im prone to doing, but i have to push myself and if it starts to hurt - stop (like i take my own advice lol)

I try to make something every day if i can, even if it's just a pile of shavings, but there are days when, as i'm sure you know all too well, it's just too painful to do anything, thankfully those days are few and far between, but even im now wondering how many more spoons, try sticks, netting needles and pot hangers etc i need and i've enough cordage to weave a blanket i think (although it would be seriously rough in texture).

To answer your question though, i've not made too many adaptations to the gear i am currently using, but I have adapted the way i use said equipment to suit my needs and requirements on the day.

On the flip side i've also resigned myself (for the moment) to accepting some of it might never get used again, but i'm reserving judgement on that until my surgeries are complete and i have some mobility back before i make a definitive decision and start offloading equipment.

I do find however that a larger handle on a tool helps some days, whilst other days a narrow handle helps, one thing i did make was what i call my "bitsa knife", its a Hultafors HVK blade set into the handle of a Mora 164 spoon knife, the larger diameter handle really does help on those days when my brain says do something, but my hands are saying "nope" and even the act of just creating a pile of shavings is often enough to retain a bit of dexterity and sanity, also not having a single set handle shape or size helps to keep those joints moving, it's all gentle exercise which is the most important thing, it would be very easy to give in to this disease as i'm sure you are well aware of, but as i say to people "I have arthritis, arthritis doesn't have me".

By far the most important lesson i learned though and it was a hard lesson, learnt the hard way, was my life has changed massively and this disease is with me forever and i have had to accept that some things i may never be able to do again, i know i can't do the hand drill any longer as my hands are far too deformed now, but i'm hoping after surgery that i will be able to find a way to do the bow drill again, a ferro rod though, even now is thankfully still viable, likewise some things just take longer now and it took me many hard knocks to let go of the frustration and accept that it is what it is, even though some days i just want to curl up in a ball and be left alone.

Bitsa knife

53468672917_1acb408ed3.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have rheumatoid arthritis. You both have my complete sympathies and understanding of the restrictions, the frustrations and the ways we manage pain.

Better shaped handles, rounded, bulbous, work more easily I find.

Keeping your muscles and tendons active, warm and strong, really really helps.

Gentle, regular, exercise of every single joint, with as full a motion as you can manage, stops the joints seizing. Keeps them mobile. It doesn't stop them hurting, but stronger muscles stops you damaging the already damaged joints.

It's about finding a balance, about finding balances. What you can do, even if you've to do it in wee bits, just keep moving.

I can no longer walk to the end of the street without wanting to cry with pain. I can no longer use an axe without being in misery for hours afterwards, but I can dawdle around, and I can break down tasks into smaller chores.

And the Sun still shines :) things still grow, the seasons still turn, and there's still stuff I can do and make and create. Family and friends are still a constant pleasure.

Being outdoors is good for us. Being active, even if it's restricted, is good for us.

We're no' done yet :D

M

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
It seems to go with the territory, a few past broken bones particularly in my shoulder are getting arthritis but I’m not in the position of being unable to do things…yet (I’m only 55)
It makes me push myself more. I was once told “use it or lose it“ which may be utter ******** and I may be doing myself untold damage but I’m going to carry on doing what I do until I can’t do it any longer.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have arthritis and if I stopped every time something causes pain I would not do anything at all, on the other hand I do need to take notice of it and rest my joints more often which sometimes means spending a completely idle day to recover. One problem which is self imposed is gripping things too tightly, a more relaxed grip will cause less strain, also if you have any physiotherapy exercises that have been given to them, do them as they help to keep the mobility. Wrapping tape around grips which are not comfortable is another idea but custom made grips on your knives and carving tools is an even better one. As far as my ability to walk goes, that is more compromised by my cardio vascular system than arthritis these days, I certainly struggle going up against gravity though as it puts a strain on my knees, but then I do have a good strong elbow crutch which I made myself, as if you have the skills you might as well use them.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I too have arthritis, and several other conditions that make things tough. But I'm a stubborn sort, and I keep trying. I have mine in my lower spine hip and knee, plus its beginning to be in my feet and hands.
I m thankfully not in a wheelchair, .....yet... but I am often in envy when potting down the town for a bottle of milk of those who are. It hurts!
Unfortunately, because of other health problems, I can't take the painkillers that work, and I'm told to take those that have as much help as a smartie!
It's an awful struggle, but I try to keep going as best I can. I rarely use a tent now, as getting up from the ground is not possible unless I have something to hang on to, though when I do, I use a cot bed. Mostly I use a hammock, though I do often need a bit of help with putting that up too.
A raised fire pit, is a good idea, and I have one of those folding lightweight ones that I can tend from a chair. I've given up bowdrill. There is no point in making myself bad trying, so I use other firelighting means. Even if you have to use a lighter all the time, you can still do it.
For walking, I use a "battling granny " walker, or two sticks, as I found using just one was twisting my spine, not a good idea.
I use a shopping trolly, (sholly) which acts as a walker and carries my kit to my spot from the car, when camping, and it also acts as a table of sorts.
Adaption is my motto.
There will be a time when things stop, one by one.
I struggle with certain garden tasks now that I didn't a few years ago, so I have to get help in. I've had too many falls to keep trying to keep on alone.
Sadly, it's something that comes to us all at some stage. The spirit is willing, but the body says no way hosay!
Just keep enjoying what you can do, and keep adapting as much as you can. I always turn my need to be pulled up off the floor(as happened last friday) as a joke, and laugh at it, even when I feel like swearing and crying.
You are not alone.

Reactions: Toddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You are by no means alone, but i know exactly how you feel.

As mentioned by others above adaptation is key, be that bigger handles on things, grip tape etc etc, and of course necessity is the mother of all invention.

Facing all sorts of issues in my day to day life, i made myself a helping stick, almost like a helping hand, but suited to me and of course it had to be made in an outdoorsy style, more info on it here Helping Stick.

With my limited mobility i have to use crutches to walk (read hobble, creak, crack and groan) around the house, when i first came out of hospital last year they gave me a wheeled trolley to put things on, yup good idea, ever tried using one whilst using a pair of crutches?, two days after coming out i was taken back in by ambulance having fallen over the ***** thing, when i came out a few days later and being a resourceful chap i made myself a "nose" bag so i could carry things around my neck, as trying to carry anything when on crutches is nigh on impossible, the bag was basically the bottom of an old pair of trousers with the bottom sewn closed and a nice long neck strap added and this worked really well for a long time.

Then last year i saw a "dump pouch" on ebay, it was less than a tenner and is perfect for my needs, i can get my cup/water bottle in it without fear of it falling out, my phone sits in the front pocket, i have a small torch in the left hand side pocket and a BCUK keyring light in the right hand pocket, plus the lining closes on a draw string over the main compartment if needed.

The neck strap is a bit of old webbing that i've added poppers too, so on those days when my shoulders are really bad, i can undo one side and pull the neck strap off my neck, the strap is long enough that i can throw the strap over my head on even the worst of days.

The bag gets used every single day, i carry my tea and brekkers each morning, numerous cups of tea and coffee through the day, and even with a cup/bottle in it, i can stuff things like my post down the sides, its deceptively simple, yet makes life so much easier.

53470186240_4ef5d35917_c.jpg

53469910233_8f2dd20d39_c.jpg

53469766676_8d3f0c4f80_c.jpg

PS: the water bottle i got from Amazon, it has a nice wide lid thats makes gripping it a lot easier and a decent handle/bail on it so even on the hardest of days the lid is easy to remove and the bail on it means if its done up slightly too tight, i can put a stick/pencil/spoon handle though the loop for extra leverage.

Last edited:

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
My Mum has arthritis in her hands which means she struggles to grip/pinch things, especially when her hands are cold.

Something she’s found useful is silicon sealant (similar to stuff you might out around your kitchen counters or windows) to add to things she needs to lift with a ‘pinching’ action. Think saucepan lids, or bin lids. She adds a strip of that either side of the bit you’re supposed to grip and it means she can lift stuff with a lifting action rather than having to grip and lift.

Reactions: Ystranc and Toddy

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I too suffer from arthritis and I try to swim at least 3 times a week and a sauna after and that is a great help. My knees are my problem and has curtailed my long distance walks to history!

• Sad
Reactions: Ystranc and Toddy

haptalaon

Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
I have worsening arthritis, particularly in thumbs and wrists, and when I came to use a ferro rod yesterday I could generate enough force to generate decent sparks.
I’m interested in any adaptations fellow sufferers have made in their bushcraft activities, either due to arthritis or other disability (I’m in a wheelchair currently too).
ohhhh, now i literally just saw a TA Outdoors video where he demonstrates a BlastMatch ferrorod - you press your thumb down on the device to hold the metal against the rod, and then stab the rod into the ground to create the striking action. It is therefore used one-handed

It might be an option for you? I'm not sure

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Another adaptation for you Antonymous, literally just done this one as the S Biners only arrived this morning.

I like to carry stuff around my neck, i know it's not for everyone, but it works for me. Now because of the arthritis in my shoulders and elbows i have found it increasingly difficult to throw the lanyard over my head, so i thought, why not fashion a large necklace type clasp, with a S Biner being perfect for the job.

That way i can hold a length of cord as opposed to a loop which makes it far, far easier to throw over the top of my bonce, on both ends of the cord i have a small ring which makes life easier too, as its easier to hold than just a bit of string, throw the cord over the top and being sprung loaded the other metal ring just pushes onto the S Biner, i can then hang whatever i want off of the lower part of the S Biner.

Taking the cord off is now also so much easier as all i need to do is unclip one ring and then just pull the cord away from around my neck, rather than struggle with limited and often painful movement trying to pull the loop of cord over my head.

I took some photo's which i hope show what i mean.

53471669721_589018b24f_c.jpg

53471977774_46599c1df3_c.jpg

53472085710_0a617caca7_c.jpg

53471669736_3de52638d9_c.jpg

Going to add some rings to some of my fixed blade sheaths i think so it makes carrying them easier too and i can also free up some space in the knife box by not having loads of lanyards permanently attached to sheaths.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE