What to put on the fire to deter mosquitos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hi guys, well sunshine is out, temperature is rising and so are the mossy' s! A short while ago someone gave me top tips on which plants are good to put on the fire to deter passing mosquitos. This information has completely dropped out of my head, could be holly, maybe elder....any ideas?

Cheers guys, Joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
As far as I know burning anything will put them off, its the smoke that they dont like, but then for it to work well you would have to be down wind of the fire.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Look up hearth herbs.

Things like mugwort, bog myrtle, lemon balm, juniper, all work to some extent.

However, we know now that breathing in the smoke isn't good for us either, so ca' canny.

cheers,
Toddy

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
That's guys, I need to look into a few of those, not sure how plentiful they are by me, although to be fair my plant I.d isn't 100%!

I use elder leaves crushed and rubbed when I'm wandering through the woods and I know that they used to ferment holly leaves and use it as a crop/ insect treatment which is what made me think it might be those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
I think that I read somewhere that mozzies don't like crampball fungus smoke, but you might want to save those for firestarting!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I think that I read somewhere that mozzies don't like crampball fungus smoke, but you might want to save those for firestarting!
I use cramp balls on a snuff fire and have had very good results making candles with powdered cramp ball in them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That's guys, I need to look into a few of those, not sure how plentiful they are by me, although to be fair my plant I.d isn't 100%!

I use elder leaves crushed and rubbed when I'm wandering through the woods and I know that they used to ferment holly leaves and use it as a crop/ insect treatment which is what made me think it might be those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy your fire away from the smoke and just use DEET (I use DEET roll on) to keep Mr Mozzy away, there is no miracle bushcraft solution.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
We used elder on a fire last week and it certainly gave off a stink and is supposed to be good at keeping away mossies. On a camp site in Sweden the owners used pinecones burning slowly which seemed to work and I have tried this when available.

Alexlana

Feb 26, 2014
Merseyside
DEET? Do you know how toxic that ingredient is? He'll just buy a net for your face and cover arms with home made netting, must be mad to use that stuff.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You can read about the 'smudge' pot and what to burn in it to keep insects at bay in Mors Kochankski's Northern Bushcraft.

Which appears to be on the internet as a pdf file here.

:)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Its the smoke that puts them off, dont matter what flavour it is, I never had a problem when smoking a pipe or rolie.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
when camping in scotland as kids my dad always put some embers im a tin can with holes in it then pine cones on top. Dotted a couple upwind of camp and we never had a problem. Or you could the stupidly simple bug oil, i hear its very good

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Birch polypore smoke deters bugs....

I really like birch polypore for insect smudging. What I do is break it off the tree at the stem, put cordage through either side so it looks like a handbag then put an ember on the stem and hang it. No beasties in 10 foot of it. Same also works with artist bracket.

Adding any of these to smudge fire makes it more effective;
Mint, mugwort, woundwort, sage, wormwood, feverfew, wild marjoram, tobacco, any pine spruce or ceder, black nightshade, herb robert . There is more I sure others have mentioned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE