What To Not Say On Edibility?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When is it wise to give advice on plants and fungi regarding whether they are edible of not?

It is regular on lovely grub for posts to ask if something edible or not, is it the right thing to answer a question like that on the internet?

I do feel it gives the person who posts the benefit of a second opinion, but I do presume that in the end they will view themselves responsible enough to make the decision themselves. Am I wrong to presume that?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I can see what you're getting at but, normally only definate answers are given about plants that somebody is very familiar with.
I think it is a much safer way of identing plants than just looking them up in a book or on the net. This site is probably one of the best sources of in-depth info available at the moment. There are plenty of people here with a wonderful knowledge of such thing (not me, i hasten to add). Not only can they give you the general blurb you could find in a book, but a much more personal take on a given plant, such as where it is, whats growing near it, are there signs of little black dots or yellow ones etc.
We all take a bit of a risk when foraging for the first few times and it's only natural to be cautious. You could ask the same question of those answering questions on knives; should they feel responsible if the person then cuts themselves.
Anyway, thats just my take on things (a couple of us were talking about this at the weekend)
Cheers
Baggins

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have asked myself... I always verify the answer... and if then I am uncertain, I just don't eat it.

I think most people are sensible about this on both sides, giving and receiving advice and all I would say is err on the side of caution.

plant identification has always been one of my weaknesses, unfortunately, it's one of the things that can get me in hospital the quickest. :(

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
yeh if u eat it and yu start feeling ill slugish showing signs of an alergic reaction or die its probably not good to eat

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Xylaria, i think you can never be sure that someone asking the question are going to be responsible after reading answers on here,to me if they don't check then double check for themselves then they are selling themselves short,i mean part of the fun in learning about plants edible and poisonous, is to get down to the nitty gritty about the plant in question.

If someone is only going to post a photo on here and say "oi is this edibile"then proceed to try said plant on the say so of someone on here,are they not missing out a big link in bushcraft,is'nt it about self sufficiency and not relying on others.

I think it would be a shame if we can't discuss such things for being afraid that someone is going to rush headlong into a situation and end up being ill.

I,m a great believer in common sense but alas we seem to be losing it in this day and age.God i sound like an old f*rt:rolleyes:

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
In my opinion people should absolutely not take anything they read on the net as gospel.

The vast majority of members on these forums are good people who mean well and will only give what they percieve to be good advice. However, where serious subjects like the edibility/toxicity of plants are concerned I would regard the internet as no more than a nudge in the right direction toward getting proper, sound advice.

xylaria

In my opinion people should absolutely not take anything they read on the net as gospel.

The vast majority of members on these forums are good people who mean well and will only give what they perceive to be good advice. However, where serious subjects like the edibility/toxicity of plants are concerned I would regard the internet as no more than a nudge in the right direction toward getting proper, sound advice.

In My Humble Opinion is very important way of regarding internet based advice. The people on this forum do treat edibilty/toxicity as very serious. To be truthful where else can get anything that comes anywhere near close to getting sound advice. We dont have pharmacists that can check a basket of fungi or such, so you have asked experienced amateurs. The more experienced people you ask the clearer a picture you can get.
I have seen on another forum where someone had posted a tutorial on fiddlenecks. They were a local delicacy, and he had eaten them since childhood, to be told that they were carcinogenic by another poster. With a big enough or skilled enough forum these facts normally come out, but then there no guarantees. The guy who had posted the tutorial in good faith was in his humble opinon that fiddlenecks were safe as he got old age without ill effect.

You'll just have to end all advise given with a disclaimer. You know, like the drug companys do stating all possible side affects and to consult with your doctor before eating.

I more or less feel I have to do this, I triple check for toxicology in english french and polish when I am talking about fungi. Before I post a ID for fungi I check the image search on google to look at several images. I like doing it, because it deepens my knowlegde and I want to pass what I know safely.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I am very wary of eating anything wild, even if I am 100% sure of ID and edibility who knows what has been sprayed on it or it is picking up from the ground? There are a lot of brownfield sites around my area and one is covered in mace reed that I would like to try but god knows what has been buried there, in the past there have been finds of mustard gas for example!
I will have a taste of things, nettles, pine needle tea, birch sap and stuff that I know is safe from several sources, but I wouldn't make any of them part of my diet. I am the same with water, I know a fair bit about water treatment and I could make it sterile but I couldn't get rid of metals and chemicals so it is knowledge for an emergency(in this area definitely) and I will carry in tap water rather than filter/treat.
I do trust advice from this forum, some peoples advice carries more weight than others, but I would wait for a thread on something new to try to run for a while and read it carefully before I tried something new and it would be at my own risk.

xylaria

Thank you all for putting my mind at rest.

I am really glad that people can think for themselves, and have common sense.

I trust the advice on this forum because most of it is based on experiance. Generally with plants the ediblilty question is just that, wondering if anyone has tasted it and is it nice. With fungi it is more reassurance as there is so much unwarrented fear of the subject.

The end of the day there is very little out there that can kill you, but I am happier that most people will do their own research, and that is site is just part of that.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Don't forget about your personal tolerance.

Yes - a plant can be edible, all advice given on this or other sites can be perfectly accurate, but YOU might suffer from an allergy you don't know of. Therefor it's best to do the edibility test, just to be on the safe side. I know it would be a hassle but better safe than s.orry.

Pro's on this method is you handle the plant several times, after that you probably won't forget it; and doing it with a lot of plants will make you can do the eddibility test blindfolded - so if you ever come into a situation you need it, it won't be a problem to remember ... besides that, you already know a great deal of plants.

To answer you question:
I think you are right in saying that BCUK / internet is best used for advice, but you will be responsible for your own actions! Hence my advice to do a personal tolerance test ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of the things I appreciate most about this site, and the people who post on the threads, is the way that knowledge is conveyed.
Information is freely given but the entire thread helps to broaden the relevant topic to allow an informed judgement call to be made.

Huge efforts are made not to cause confusion, to advise best practice, to give clear warnings, but at the end of the day it is up to the individual to accept responsibility for his/ her actions.

If any of the Mods were concerned about the content of posts advising eating or using something potentially toxic I'm sure something would have been said before now.

Xylaria you give clear and healthy advice, I really don't thinkyou have anything to fret over.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Toddy hope you had a good night:rolleyes:

I am not fretting, I just wanted to stimulate a bit of debate where responsibility starts and ends. There is very little in nature that scares me, and the members of this forum have a respect for the dangers. I am glad that everyone has agreed that we are capable informed decisions and baring the consequences of such. I always felt the advise given was helping someone make an informed decision rather than making it for them.

But there is some right thicko's out there which don't except that Mother Nature has a particularly mean way of dealing with fools:twak:

Ahjno your advice is spot on about tolerance testing, but do we really have work around dumbos that cant use common sense. I had someone(not on line) ask for advise because they had a still had diarrhea 5 days after eating raw mushrooms they found in cow dung. Some people aren't safe to leave the house, and I don't see why I should patronize everyone else because of them. I want to treat the members of this forum like they were adults.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Nice topic , thanks for starting it :)

For me there is a lot more to fungus ID than can often be seen from one or 2 pics.

If I am picking for myself to eat I have (obviously) walked through the area and have an idea of what is in the ground.

For example I have often found clearly edible fungi in places I consider a bit odd, say shaggy ink caps popping up in a border that I know the council workers mulched with wood bark earlier in the year, and because of this have walked past and left them. My reason for leaving what others may consider a perfectly good mushroom would be that I have little or no idea what the mulch really contains, it may be pure and simple bark or it may be mixed with sawdust from preservative treated wood. Fact is I just dont know but in among the geraniums in a public garden is not a place I would expect to find shaggy ink caps.

I prefer to get off the beaten track and into more natural surroundings to look for things, it is also part of the fun of it for me.

As well as the area itself , right down to soil type and surrounding plants I also like to look at the mushroom from several different angles.

The top is important it can have many distinguishing features, so is the stem and equally the underside of the cap. A field mushroom should have straight gills on the underside of the cap, they start barely fawn coloured when button may be pink ish when bigger and mature to dark brown almost black when fully open and more mature. I remember coming across a patch where the gills were the right colour and everything else was pretty much how it should have been except that the gills were not straight but wavy. Again I chose not to eat just to err on the side of caution.

As well as the above I always cut into the fungus , all the time carefull to note any smell. Cutting and smell can turn up some surprising things too, there is a mushroom very like a field mushroom that smells of carbolic soap - to be avoided - and one that stains instantly on cutting bright yellow - to be avoided - in fact i will reject all "field mushrooms" that show any signs of staining yellow.

I really think for me to make a 100% ID i would like to see all of these things in pictures, the area, fungus from above , fungus from below and cross section after 20 mins. As well as notes on smell texture soil type in fact as much info as possible.

Put simply fungi have a huge variation in shape and colour even the same kind of mushroom found in different places can look so different as to confuse most people, Take ceps the colour of the cap can be light brown to rusty red to chocolate depending on where they grow.

Having said all that, I do try and include a note on things easily confused and definitely not edible.

The risk lies with the person who picks and eats, and I try and suggest they get a local expert to help them discover the joys of eating wild food and mushrooms.

With a little care and attention to detail it is easy to avoid putting yourself in danger, but I do remain wary of ID ing 1 picture on the web.

Tant

xylaria

We live in country where a good deal of people think that they can drop down dead if they touch the wrong mushroom, which plainly isn't true. There is whole sections of the phylum that have no lethal species at all, but there are species that can cause GI problems in most groups. People are scared enough that would avoid an unmistakable fungi like chicken of the woods, even when they have ID-ed it correctly, because they are too worried that it might be poisonous look-a-like that they don't know about. In this case all someone needs is reassurance that there is nothing else that looks like it. But saying that there is probably some thicko out there who ate some random yellow fungus growing on a tree and got sick.

Tantalus I understand your caution. There are mushrooms I feed to my children, some that are adults only and there others that I am sure are edible that a leave in the field because I am not a hundred percent. Get an accurate ID without seeing the gills is impossible, but you can nearly always see the substrate, small markings and scale which can at least get it down to which family it is But then I would add rather than saying 'its oyster mushroom you can eat it.' I would add ' with oysters spore print IS WHITE! and the fungus is bigger than your hand' As these facts are what distinguish it from a crepitotus, but then I would expect the poster to use common sense.

xylaria

I don't doubt my own ability or anybody elses, but anyone can make a mistake.
Example: I think this has been mis-IDed.
http://www.mushrooms.org.uk/display...archprodbysubcat&qtitle=Cortinarius+Violaceus

It should look like this, The definitive feature is bits on the top of the cap.
http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Cortinarius_violaceus.htm

Where what I think he has got is one of these.
http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Lepista_nuda.htm

The lepista has a rose white spore print whereas the cortinarius has a brown one. But it is still a mistake from a good source. It is a mistake that if you made in the field you miss out on a meal but if it was the other way around there maybe consequences. But I just wonder if people realised that no one is infallible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE