What to do with Sage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can't come at the concept of loading up my pancakes with herbs of any kind.
Not the taste I'm looking for. Thinned batter, almost like a crepe, works OK as a soft tortilla.

Just last week, I bought 4 salts from an artisan company in Newfoundland ( the big rock island off Canada's east coast.)
Plain is good. Juniper smoke and alder smoke were weak. Coffee salt was magnificent! Taste treat.

I can see making "sage salt." 1/2C plain sea salt + 1/2 C very fine dice sage and let that sit for 30 days.
Lemon zest works (2 TBSP) about the same.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It rises up and sets much thicker than a pancake. It's more like cornbread I suppose. A fried cornbread ?
I like the crispy outer and the flavour filled inner. Folded in half and let to cook for another few minutes on slightly reduced heat mine end up about 3cm thick.

Sorry @Allison McKenzie we've rather taken your thread Off Topic.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be fair I do use self raising flour, but I don't think adding baking powder would go amiss :)
The sparkling water just loosens it all up, and the yoghurt is acidic enough to boost the raising agents :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Must be a product of my upbringing.
Corn bread and molasses (treacle?)
Cheese and tomato are not on that menu.

I grow lots of clusters of little tiny tomato-shaped purple fruit that I call grapes.

In less than a week, I'll get a 25 lb case of field-ripened Roma tomatoes for $10.00.
Then a couple of days with my dehydrator running and I'm set for a snacky thing!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think of cornbread as a savoury thing though. Treacle's for cake and puddings and scones and dumpling.

On that note though, sage makes awfully good doughballs/dumplings too.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
To shush the kids up (by now thoroughly addicted) , I just made a load of mushroom, onion and courgette fritters, with again, of course, Sage!

This one is a real winner, producing a heavy creamy mushroom flavour as a veh for the herbiness. Scoffed up with baked sweet potato chips, green beans sautéed in a few mm of salty garlicky water ... with more sausages. And very large, very icy vodka and tonic drinks

Experiments with chives and left-over green beans tomorrow, if the kids remain game.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE