What to do with leather sueded split?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
I recently a piece of light brown leather sueded split roughly 1-1.6mm thick. When it arrived turns out there is 16 square foot of it. Can anyone help me out with ideas on what to make from it?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

S

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Dozens of things, I bought 7 square foot of it a couple of years ago, and made bags for my billies, pouching for flint (for fire lighting) pouches to give as gifts, pouches for fire kits. Pouches to stop stuff from rattling in my billy. If'n you have enough you could make a waist-coat :)

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
hmm waistcoat sounds very interesting! I think I have enough as well... Tadpole, have you made one before? as I do not have a clue where to start!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
hmm waistcoat sounds very interesting! I think I have enough as well... Tadpole, have you made one before? as I do not have a clue where to start!
I've not made one from leather, but they are simple if you have a decent pattern, and patterns don't cost much.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
If you want to make things that require thicker leather, you could glue 2 parts together. You need special "textile glue", smells strongly like ammonia, but it will glue the leather together excellently.

I recently a piece of light brown leather sueded split roughly 1-1.6mm thick. When it arrived turns out there is 16 square foot of it. Can anyone help me out with ideas on what to make from it?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

S

This is great stuff to work with and there must be many uses for it. I use this leather for:
A greased gunpowder wallet. When not used for carrying extra powder, I store spare tinder in it which is a traditional use(18thc.); A greased fireworks bag for keeping my tinderbox and small kindling dry; Food bags. It is great for trail food bags; woodland moccasin flaps. You can make then fold high over the ankle and lower leg and leave a good length to wrap around; A greased lock cover (cow's knee) for the lock on my flintlock fusil; Round ball and shot bags; gun tool bag; first-aid kit; Outer cover on my hunting knife sheath. Beading can be done on this if you wish with ease. You can see the modest beading I did with #7 French glass beads around the neck of my sheath.
Le Loup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE