What to do with Horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
A friend of mine found this in a charity shop, and knowing my interests he bought it for me.

Never having worked with horn before I thought I would come to my favourite forum to ask you good people for suggestions for what to do with it.
Someone has drilled a small hole a couple of inches from the base to insert a splitpin for hanging it on a wall, otherwise it is complete.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions.
Muddypaws.

urbansurvivor

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2013
East anglai
Wow, just make a lid for it and enjoy having a really nice container, would love one of those, do you know what sort of horn this is, can you get them here in UK? I could make one of these into a really nice deer call, would be able to get some great close up pics of the stags calling them in with this im sure, nice find

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for the suggestions! I could fill the hole with epoxy if I wanted to go the drinking horn route, but I think I'll go for some sort of container. Wooden caps are within my capabilities. I've also got some pewter (from a charity shop tankard) that I can envisage as some decorative trim.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great find!
Google: UBC/MOA
That's enough to take you to the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology.
There's an online collection of some 40,000 items that you can search, sort through, and look at for ideas.
In the UBC/MOA, I've seen stunning examples of large ladles made by hot oil bending & carving of
Mountain Goat horn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE