What to do with apple

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Now this may be a dumb question, but here goes.

im taking down an apple tree for a friend to make way for his extension and he as said I can have as much as I can carry. Needless to say I'm taking a trailer and a land rover.

but here's the twist, other than spoons and the odd bowl and kuksa, what can I do with it. Thinking I might keep the shavings from the turning to do some smoking, but what is apple good for? Think I might have to get busy with some wax to seal some bits for future projects.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Because of its dense grain it is an excellent carving wood, and of course it burns with a pleasant smell.

It is often multi-coloured, and so makes interesting turning pieces. I've also made a cheese board with some, which turned out well. Generally it is hard once seasoned, and durable, if often twisty and a bit knotty.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I made a walking stick from a relitively straight peice. used it regularly on most camps for the past 5 years.. still tough enough...

currently finishing a refurbishment job on it.

I've also carved a simple ring for the missus out of it.

and as mentioned it give a great scent when burnt. often use it when making bannock.

(we have an apple tree in the garden.)

regards,
Baelfore

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Cheeseboard, I like that, sounds a great idea.

Elen, tell me more about smoking cheese, that would be lovely to go with the cheeseboard. And a cheese knife handled from it too. Hot diggady we've got ourselves a project.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cheeseboard, I like that, sounds a great idea.

Elen, tell me more about smoking cheese, that would be lovely to go with the cheeseboard. And a cheese knife handled from it too. Hot diggady we've got ourselves a project.

Don't forget to serve said cheese with a dry cider and a crusty bread. Maybe with slices of Granny Smith apples.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Don't forget to serve said cheese with a dry cider and a crusty bread. Maybe with slices of Granny Smith apples.

Good grief no! For cheese you need an apple with flavour. An Egremont russet, or a Blenheim orange or suchlike. The only thing worse than a granny smith is a golden delicious :yuck:

Jackcbr, you might also look at making a good beaker or wooden cup for your cider. Apple is hard enough to make a decent pestle and mortar set too.

I think the other use for apple wood, at least in modern times, is to make interesting shapes and then soak in a few drops of aromatherapy oils to give a sort of scented decoration that is easily replenished. Can be used as an air freshener, for rooms or cars etc.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I broke a Mora making a spoon in applewood :eek:. Lovely stuff to carve with though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good grief no! For cheese you need an apple with flavour. An Egremont russet, or a Blenheim orange or suchlike. The only thing worse than a granny smith is a golden delicious :yuck:....

LOL. I wouldn't eat a Golden Delicicious with anything unless I was starving. But Granny Smiths are pretty strong flavored (though a bit too bitter a flavor for some tastes) and firm fleshed (unlike the mushy Golden delicious) However only use them with a sharp Cheddar, never with a mild one.

TBH They're very good sliced and dipped in caramel where the tatses (sweet and bitter) counterbalance.

But all that said, I would either use the cider OR the apples (whatever apple you choose) Not both apples and cider together.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Smoking cheese you need to cool smoke - best/cheapest method (that I can think of) - a box and one of these
51N57Ys4nYL._SX355_.jpg
- a Pro-Q cold smoke generator - although they're not cheap (nearly £40). BUT a metal seive and a tealight & some spple sawdust would probably do the same job.

Apple wood is a lovely smoke flavour - I use chunks/chips in my hot smoker, adds a great but light flavour to a smoked bit of meat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Applewood is well worth saving :D I get lovely colours from the bark too.
My oldest spinning wheel's distaff is made of applewood, and the spinning wheel is now over 260 years old :D and it's still works beautifully :D The distaff has darkened to a deep toffee colour, rich and smooth and polished with use.

My usual digging stick is a bit of applewood too :approve: fruit woods in general are very good work tools. It makes lovely dishes for serving too, breadplates, fruitbowls, cheeseboards and the like. A set for the table would be a beautiful thing :)
I have some lace bobbins from some too, again, very beautiful and lovely to use.

It's just too good a timber only to burn. That said, if you gather up the twiggy bits and bind them into small faggots, they burn beautifully and the scent gently freshens a room. It burns bright and clear.

cheers,
Mary

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I made some nice handles for axes from apple wood jack, real strong and no cracks ever, ask Spandit as he has one of mine.
Wouldn't mind a piece myeself for making a mallet if you keep some back. :D
Sausages cooked over apple wood, bet that gets your taste buds going.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
As Hugo says, fruit woods in general make for lovely tool handles.

Must say I wouldn't say no to a few bits either. Ive plans in motion for a set of carving chisels....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Apple knife handle scales are nice.
Apple wood does smell lovely on the fire, though not as nice as cherry.
Being a pretty wood, it's good to make things from such as clock faces, coat racks, storage boxes and all sorts of nice things.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Smoking cheese you need to cool smoke - best/cheapest method (that I can think of) - a box and one of these
51N57Ys4nYL._SX355_.jpg
- a Pro-Q cold smoke generator - although they're not cheap (nearly £40). BUT a metal seive and a tealight & some spple sawdust would probably do the same job.

Apple wood is a lovely smoke flavour - I use chunks/chips in my hot smoker, adds a great but light flavour to a smoked bit of meat.

That doesn't look like much more than a pie tin with some wire round it...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Wow, I think there's more things there than I've got time for, but a massive thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I've got 2 hefty chunks and a few bits the will make some spoons. The cheeseboard is already taking shape thanks to the chainsaw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE